Expert fabric ID help needed on dress

bluevelvetvintage

VFG Member
Found this pretty dress and am not sure what kind of fabric it is. Lightweight, crisp texture, shimmery, almost irridescent colors. Kind of like a taffeta.

I did a burn test to a piece I cut from inside and the fabric extinguished itself. Didn't seem to want to burn and left a black residue that I could crush up into almost a fine powder or ash. I'm guessing silk, but I'm not sure and would really appreciate if anyone more experienced could help me.

Thanks Theresa

Blue Velvet Vintage

dr0444c4.jpg

dr0444c1.jpg

That is such a cool dress. The pattern is so vibrant. I am not very experienced with burn tests. Could it be silk with some sort of other treatment to it?

...waiting for our expert fabric people to come along....

From the results of the test that sounds like silk to me. Did it smell like burning hair when you did it? Burnt silk does go black and it melts slightly when burning and does try to 'put itself out' rather than whooshing up. The ash is crushable.

Oh and just a quick safety tip to anyone who decides to do a burn test - use tweezers not you fingers - some of the man made fabrics melt like boiling sugar and will stick to skin, so be careful.

Back