Faux Sharkskin?

Patentleathershoes

VFG Veteran
VFG Past President
Under flourescent lighting, at first impression i thought this was sharkskin. Now, upon seeing it in various lights, I know it isn't.. It does not have that dramatic blue to black or purple to gray, etc color change. It does have some type of similar metallic quality to it, however. The color really depends on the lighting but i would best describe it as teal...sometimes looks more blue or green depending on what is near it. "blue green" erring ever so slightly on the green side but everyone who has seen it has been 50-50 on whether it is a shade of blue or a shade of green.

This suit was tailored October 29, 1968 so there is definitely a date for this one. Maybe someone didn't like halloween and was going to an alternative event

Are there any other types of fabrics i should explore on the side of it not being sharkskin?

fauxsharkskin.jpg

When i uploaded it (above) it looks more blue than it looks like in my photoshop program.

fauxsharkskin2.jpg

Now the sun is reflecting on part of it.

When i saw it I thought "cool"...but now i am thinking...what a photography nightmare! Maybe i need my eyes checked for colorblindness
Chris

Is it "changeable" - you know, the warp threads are one color (maybe green) and the weft are a different color (such as blue)?

I've seen changeable silks, but I don't know if it is done very often in other fibers.

Laura

I am looking very closely, and it is black and then that greeny bluey color. The black is actually more prominent. the fabric looks black with smaller unifrom greeny bluey stitches. I know that it is not a scientific way to talk about warp and weft. I am just trying to express that it is not so cut and dry as a perfect 50-50 cur and dried apparent mix of colors like a woven fabric would be.

I'd probably still call it sharkskin. Maybe modify it to "has a mild sharkskin effect".
I do know the exact material you've got there... but I don't know if there is a word for it?

In fact... I think I've got a couple suits in the same fabric... hmmmmm...

it definitely is synthetic or a synth blend. At least the blue/green threads are. Not polyester. Nothing sweaty or itchy. makes a noise when you scratch your fingernail on it. No content tags whatsoever.

I am glad, Kristine, that someone knows the material and although nameless it just proves that i am not going nuts LOL

I could call it faux sharkskin with a black undertone. but have to decide if it is blue or green first LOL. leaning more green at the moment.

I think I would go with sharkskin too...."in the style of" "similar to"

Sue

Looks like sharkskin to me! Or at least, it has the qualities that people seek in a sharkskin. In the second pic I can see a certain sheen to it!

Back