Forstman suit ad?

Emma Parkes

Registered Guest
me again, asking if by chance anyone has an ad for my garment lol. It’s 1940’s Forstman!
IMG_8422.jpeg

Wow, you are a vision, and such an incredible suit and color! The closest I have found so far (1948)- Pockets are different, but I will keep looking
1729130962777.png

It is my understanding that Forstman was the wool weaver - they manufactured the fabric that was used. Most suits I have seen just have their label, but I have seen some where the designer label was present, and placed just above the Forstman label, in the side placket. I would need to seriously check my archives, to find where this information came from. And, I can look into my sold archives to see if I have an example... very high quality, that's for sure. And you and your mustard suit are utter perfection!

Editing to add - I searched my sold archives and found a 50s suit by Rafi that also had the Forstman label and a label for Olds and King, the department store it was sold in. I knew I researched that for a reason. I was trying to find a suit that sold to SNL, but I'm either not recognizing it or the search isn't turning up Forstman, anyway.

Last edited:
You're right, Sadie - Forstmann just produced the fabric. Here's the VFG LR for it.

As Sadie mentions, there should be more labels for garment manufacturer and perhaps retailer. If there's only the Forstmann label, it could mean either that the other labels have been lost or they weren't there because it was made by a professional dressmaker who bought the fabric in bulk wholesale (with the labels). In which case you might be able to find the pattern in the Vintage Pattern Wiki. For example, I found this one that shares some style elements.

Nicole

Back