Found these shoes when remodeling an old house

Jerresa

Registered Guest
Can anyone help identify these shoes I found while remodeling an old house? The house was built in 1918, however, they were found in the original heating duct work, however long duct work has been around. ?? Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 106
Hopefully @Jonathan will stop in. In the meantime, what kind of soles - wood? Rubber? And how are the soles attached - nails? Stitching? Glue?

I had to wait until I went back to the house to look at them better. They may not be as old as I'm thinking, maybe just aged from being in a heater duct, but they were well worn shoes. I couldn't find any kind of brand on them, but the bottom of the shoe is stamped: Made in USA as well as Long Life Sole Vulcaprene. Thank you both for your answers, they're still intriguing, not sure why someone would place them there.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 75
Also not that I am up on my superstitions but here is what it says about shoes inside house walls:

“It's part of a superstition going back hundreds of years, mainly in Europe. An article of clothing — the most common being a shoe — is placed in the wall near an opening such as a window, door or fireplace, to guard against intrusions by the devil or evil spirits.”

Back