1. Debradawn

Debradawn Registered Guest

Hello! I have a fur coat I am hoping to get some information about. If there is anything anyone can tell me about it, I will be thankful, but primarily what the fur is, approximate age, and whether the brand is a high end luxury product, or more of a mass produced more commonly owned garment. It is relatively perfect condition. For some reason the photos seem to show what appear to be a couple of spots of wear on the upper sleeve and shoulder, but that is not at all the case, the fur is lush and thick with no signs of wear or holes or stains. By looking at it person you can tell its vintage, otherwise I'd believe it was brand new.

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

The date is on the inside label, Nov 5 (looks like 1982). It is a mink coat, looks like a mahogany mink from the photos.
    You also have the name of the actual furrier, Pat Flesher Furs ( est 1929 )....if you google that you will find their website.
    The MBW would be the inital owners Monogram. This was a popular thing to embroider the initials into the lining of a good fur.

That is a nice thing with a lot of fur coats, they often have a lot of information with the tags.

Last edited: May 12, 2024
  3. Debradawn

Debradawn Registered Guest

Ok! Cool! Thank you. I did find Pat Flesher Furs of Canada on-line. And they're still going strong it seems.

I figured the date was what was written, as you confirmed. And I had a hunch it was a "good fur". To my untrained eye, the quality still jumped out to me.

I'm glad to hear it is indeed mink. I am trying to sell it, and I wanted to be sure of all these details.

I am brand new to VFG, but I understand you don't discuss the monetary value of a garment, nor how likely it is to sell. So I want to stay away from those issue with this next question; I have recently read that an older, "vintage" fur, as opposed to other garments, can actually be worth less than a newer fur, something to do with the less likely an older fur might have been taken care of/stored correctly. So a seller might have a tendency to overestimate what it will sell for...is this something you have observed in general?

And a follow up to that is - is the gathering, perhaps elastic cuffs I have seen on the majority of similar vintage furs I see for sale on-line, more common? Is a cuff that is gathered a feature of a less high- end feature than just a natural, rolled cuff, like what can be seen on mine?