Furrier Tape / Cold Tape

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintage Friends, Nov 6, 2023.

1. Vintage Friends

Vintage Friends VFG Member

Hi, after seeing some notes from a few years back in the forums here and watching some Youtube videos, I am ready to tackle repairing some seam rips on a long 1970s fur coat. I'm trying to find "furrier tape" online. It appears to also be called Cold Tape (no idea why). Can anyone recommend a brand of furrier tape or tell me where to find it? Not having much luck. Thanks! Melinda

2. retro ruth

retro ruth Administrator Staff Member

I can't but I'd love to know too!

3. retro ruth

I found some, a brand called Lanas, and it seems they only sell it direct from their website. https://lanasfur.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=cold+tape

From what I can see, this tape is used to stabilise the fur and prevent tearing while you are sewing, and then is removed afterwards - is that what you saw in youtube?

I'd be interested to see the videos you found.

I have a 1960s sheepskin coat that I love but is falling apart, and the leather kept tearing when I tried to repair it. I was about to let it go, but this might be the answer.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
  4. retro ruth

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  5. Vintage Friends

I had seen the Lana's brand, too, but I sure don't need 50 yards of the tape. I'm still looking. I watched a number of youtube videos but liked this one best:

6. Vintage Friends

Ooo, furrier tape is apparently also called "Style Tape" - here's another source, except I want to find a wider width.
    https://pandatrim.com/products/style-tape-3-16-1-4-3-8-5-8-1?variant=32297162473585

Actually, I just realized that what the person in the Russian video seems to be using for tape looks just like medical adhesive cloth tape. I've spent way too many hours trying to find a wide enough cloth adhesive tape online and will just experiment with the medical tape I already have in the bathroom. Ha ha! It's flexible and should work very well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
    retro ruth likes this.
  7. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

typically when (regular) tape gets cold, it tends to lose the stick-ability and doesn't work as well. i would imagine since a fur is (only) worn in cold weather, perhaps "cold tape" refers to a specially formulated tape that continues to hold things together, even when it's cold.

MagsRags, retro ruth and dollsntrolls like this.
  8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I was thinking along the same line as Mary, that furs are often put in cold storage during the warmer months so the tape would have to hold up to that.

retro ruth and dollsntrolls like this.
  9. retro ruth

thanks for this - very interesting. So unlike what I read, she leaves the tape in place, which seems much more likely to be successful. I'm going to see if I can save my sheepskin coat. The issue I have is that the tears are all at stress points where fasteners are attached. Re-enforcing with tape might give it a few more years... I was getting ready to cut it up and turn it into a rug!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  10. retro ruth

I searched the leather working category of etsy, which gave me some interesting results.

This looks like similar tape (from a UK shop). I've ordered some. Less than £10 including shipping for 3/4 inch wide, so I'll soon have 50 meters of the stuff! I have a leather bag to repair, as well as the coat, and I think it'll be useful for both.
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1333424216/tex-band-100-reinforcement-adhesive

This also looks useful, sheets of leather reinforcement (USA)
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1248099713/texon-black-reinforcement-sheets-leather

This shop is based in Greece, and looks good, but they have a EUR 20 minimum order, plus shipping, so I'd only use them if I needed quite a few things I could only get there.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
    The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  11. Kizzy

Kizzy Registered Guest

Hi there, 1st time post - I know this is an old thread but i wanted to tell you what I have learned about cold tape/furrier tape.
    I was watching a Kenneth King video and he was using cold tape in the build of fur coat. The reason why it sometimes referred to as "Cold Tape" is because is sticky on one side and you place it down "cold" on the fur (or stretch knit). No ironing required - you really shouldn't iron faux or real fur. You DO sew through & it is there to stabilize the seam & you DO leave it in. A much cheaper DIY alternative is bias tape & white glue. Takes a bit longer but is essential the very same thing. I hope this helps

Vintage Friends and retro ruth like this.
  12. retro ruth

Thanks Kizzy! I still haven’t got around to using my cold tape, so I appreciate the tips.