1. Sarah M

Sarah M Registered Guest

So, my mom wore this dress to her high school graduation in the year 1980, and I was wondering if anyone here can tell if it is a Gunne Sax or not. She cut the tag off because the dress is so sheer. There are some Gunne Sax that are sheer and are styled similar to this dress, but I can’t find this particular one on the web. 27128EE5-89D9-48FC-A375-BCB653B00FEB.jpeg

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Welcome to the VFG forums!

Is there any remnant of tag at all? Maybe with an RN number?

3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

it reminds me more of a Laura Ashley than a Gunne. cute!

4. Sarah M

Sarah M Registered Guest

The tag was cut off close to the collar, but the tiny remnant that is there is tan colored, like a Gunne Sax label. But there might be other brand tags that color too so I can't tell for sure if it is a Gunne.

5. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

This may sound crazy, but could you show the tiny remnant of tag?

I wasn't able to find an ad for your exact dress, but it is very similar to Gunne Sax of 1980s. The flutter sleeves, the sheer—everything. I've had this dress with the GS label.

pinkrosebudgunne1.JPG pinkrosebudgunne3.JPG

This one, though, had a different label.
    whitepinkflowersgunnelike3.jpg

6. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

It looks similar to this Gunne Sax dress that I sold some years ago.

663BD5AA-CB76-489D-957C-180C90F07787_4_5005_c.jpeg

4721CBFB-5721-4557-AC29-6BA0E23616BC_1_201_a.jpeg

6BED9712-BB76-4DD4-A924-205607398299_1_201_a.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 5.57.17 PM.png

Sarah M and The Vintage Merchant like this.
  7. The Vintage Merchant

8. Sarah M

Sarah M Registered Guest

F633F51A-D4B1-4DB8-88ED-80729499F8B0.jpeg 34CF0153-D4EE-4BF4-95DD-6C6C75E028E9.png [​IMG] QUOTE="denisebrain, post: 788241, member: 73"]This may sound crazy, but could you show the tiny remnant of tag?

I wasn't able to find an ad for your exact dress, but it is very similar to Gunne Sax of 1980s. The flutter sleeves, the sheer—everything. I've had this dress with the GS label.

View attachment 173106 View attachment 173107

This one, though, had a different label.
    View attachment 173108 [/QUOTE]

9. Sarah M

Sarah M Registered Guest

Unfortunately, the tag was cut so close to the collar seam that it wouldn’t really show very well on camera. I literally need to peel back the seam allowance of the collar to see the minute tag remnant and squint at it to see what color it is. I’ll just say that it is a creamy tan color.
    Also, I did some more research online and found some Gunne Sax dresses that look like they were made with the same pattern, but with different fabric, lace, and buttons. Do you think this info is enough to conclude that it is a Gunne Sax? (Also, see the dress that Ranch Queen Vintage posted. It also fits these characteristics.)

10. denisebrain

Personally I wouldn't call it conclusive evidence, because there were so many close imitators, but I'd say it's likely a Gunne Sax.

Sarah M likes this.
  11. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Satin weave? Or matte finish? In my experience, Gunne tags are always satin - still wouldn't be conclusive, but would be suggestive.

12. Sarah M

Sarah M Registered Guest

The tag remnant is shiny satin. Also tan-colored, as mentioned above.

MagsRags likes this.
  13. Sarah M

Sarah M Registered Guest

Thanks, everyone. I'm not an experienced Gunne Sax collector, but my mom's side of the family kept a lot of their dresses from back when they were new and I like them. My mom is pretty certain that the dress in this thread is indeed a Gunne Sax, but I have OCD and the lack of a tag is freaking me out. nervous emoti But everything else checks out, so I think I'm safe to conclude that it is one.

14. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

If it were me and I was planning to sell it, I wouldn’t “safely conclude” that, since you don’t know for sure and I would at most state that it could be one in the listing description.

15. The Vintage Merchant

16. Sarah M

Sarah M Registered Guest

Not gonna sell. As I said above, this is my mom’s graduation dress from 1980 so she would be upset if I got rid of it. I just wanted to know for myself because I like the Gunne Sax brand. Also, it fits me alright so I can wear it! It’s great for summer because it‘s sheer and keeps me cool.

17. denisebrain

:danceban:

Sarah M likes this.