Help dating 50s or 60s wedding or prom gown

Andrii

Registered Guest
Hi, what do you think of this one? It has frenched seams, metal zipper. The fabric is rayon damask / jacquard. What would you call this color? I guess champagne or cream? Strangely some construction elements and stitching are done well and some a bit crooked or poorly done. My guess is it was initially custom made but maybe finished in a rush or by apprentice. It also went with a big red sash with a bow that was very badly stitched to the dress. Because of the bow I thought that maybe it was not a wedding gown but prom or pageant dress? My initial thought on dating was 1960s but I’ve seen some similar gowns on Etsy listed as 1950s, so I would greatly appreciate your opinion

Attachments

• SAM_6820.jpeg
    SAM_6820.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 55
  • SAM_6815.jpeg
    SAM_6815.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 60
  • SAM_6845.jpeg
    SAM_6845.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 57
  • SAM_6896.jpeg
    SAM_6896.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 60
  • SAM_6888.jpeg
    SAM_6888.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8315.jpeg
    IMG_8315.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8314.jpeg
    IMG_8314.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 60
  • SAM_6843.jpeg
    SAM_6843.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Lovely!
Looks like an ivory wedding dress to me. I'll leave the dating to others here (though I'm thinking more recent than 1950s).

You say it has french (not "frenched" :)) seams but you show a simple edge stitched seam...?

An edge stitched seam:

Screenshot (148).png

A french seam:
(A french seam is basically a seam encased within a second seam.)

Screenshot (149).png

It's truly a beautiful dress! That scalloped neckline, shelf bust, and waist treatment is Yummy!!! I can picture this all done up on a bride, but it's simplicity can lend itself to any formal occasion and it may have been repurposed because of that (with the red sash)! I personally get an early 1960's vibe from it. I see Ivory as well...Don't you wish they could talk?!

It's truly a beautiful dress! That scalloped neckline, shelf bust, and waist treatment is Yummy!!! I can picture this all done up on a bride, but it's simplicity can lend itself to any formal occasion and it may have been repurposed because of that (with the red sash)! I personally get an early 1960's vibe from it. I see Ivory as well...Don't you wish they could talk?!
Haha, you’re right, it would be so much easier if they could talk! Thank you for your input! I also thought that it could be from late 50s to early 60s era

Back