Help Dating A St Michael Uk Sundress pls

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by polkadotvintage, Jul 9, 2024.

1. polkadotvintage

polkadotvintage Registered Guest

Hi lovely VFG peeps. I’d love your help please to date this little nautical dress. I’m thinking 50s/60s maybe?
    I also don’t know what to describe it as. I initially thought it was a swimsuit as it has internal support.
    Any help appreciated thank you

Attached Files:

poshthreads likes this.
  2. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

Cute dress, flattering style especially with vertical stripes. It looks like an A-line, mini dress, not sure it would be a swimsuit as I don't think they would usually have a zip. The label states 'Short', so it is probably just a petite womans sizing. What is the length from shoulder to hem?

It is definitely not 1950s, but could be mid 60s or possibly early 70s . Here are some points on the St Michael label that help with dating;

St Michael introduced Size 10 in 1962, and an R in a circle, replaced 'regd' in the mid 60s - so it will be mid 60s or later
    Made in Britain - in 1970 'Made in the UK' was phased in (it could still be early 70s as it was being phased in)
    By 1973, size was shown in a red circle

Does the back of the label show anything, or are there any other labels? They could provide really useful info.
    e.g. washing symbols - the first washing symbols were introduced in 1966
    CA (Canada) code - St Michael introduced these codes on their labels in June 1972

Inclusion, or lack of these symbols/codes, could help narrow down the date further.

Andrii and polkadotvintage like this.
  3. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

It's cute! Agree with Sarah, it's a bit later than 1950s. I'd say most likely early 70s with the cut and design, and the useful info above really helps narrow it down :).

It could be intended as a beach dress - if you also think the package holiday exploded in the UK in the early 70s with cheap flights to the Med, there would be quite a market for beachwear.. despite our not so predictable climate, lol!

polkadotvintage and Shusteroo like this.
  4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Agree with early 70s. Very cute dress. The label with the red background to the logo is similar to the 1972 dress in label resource. Agree if there’s other labels or anything on the back of that label that might tell us more.

polkadotvintage and Shusteroo like this.
  5. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

Agree with Harriet, I didn't think of a beach dress, but that makes sense with the internal bra/support section,

polkadotvintage likes this.
  6. polkadotvintage

polkadotvintage Registered Guest

Thank you so much for the really helpful info @Shusteroo and apols for the delay I didn’t realise I’d had a response. Attached is the back of the label and not sure if the little 6 is a washing symbol? No other labels inside.
    Thanks too @Retro Ruth and @Hattysattic I think a beach dress is a great call

Attached Files:

Shusteroo likes this.
  7. dollsntrolls

dollsntrolls VFG Member

I would also like to add, you'll find similar pieces if you search "Swim Dress." That's what the De Weese ones are called - I have one in my shop, now.

polkadotvintage and Hattysattic like this.
  8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

9. Andrii

Andrii Registered Guest

10. Andrii

Andrii Registered Guest

Last edited: Jul 16, 2024
  11. Andrii

Andrii Registered Guest

Ah, I didn’t notice first that the measurements are only in imperial - since 1974 they would also include metric. And, as @Shusteroo said size in a red circle was introduced in 1973. So this is an exact 1973 St Michael label, the dress itself though could be made a year or two later if they had a leftover labels they didn’t use before