Help Dating a Vintage Umbrella?

La Roux Vintage

Registered Guest
Hello all! While I wait for the local library's copy of 'Umbrellas and Parasols' to be turned in, I thought I might see if anyone here might help me date this umbrella? It's a black nylon (or seems to be nylon) material, with a braided string tassle, metal shaft and "arms", and a gorgeous gold metal and mother of pearl cane-style handle.

There are no labels other than a small 'Made in Austria' etched onto the metal piece that you clasp when opening and closing - that in itself plus the style makes me think it's not terribly old, but the handle is totally throwing me for a loop. I have no idea if it's actually gold plate (I'm researching how to test it because I've no experience in determining metals) but it's the same style as many being called 'Victorian' and sold on etsy (ususally detached from their umbrella top counterparts). The handle seems antique, but I have no idea if the fabric and mechanics themselves might be. Could it actually be a turn-of-the-century piece, a mix of old and new (someone took a Victorian handle and put it onto a modern umbrella top?) or just a newer Victorian "style"?

I'd love any input or ideas, as I'm totally stumped!
blackumbrellagoldhandle2.jpg
blackumbrellagoldhandle1.jpg
blackumbrellagoldhandle3.jpg
blackumbrellagoldhandle4.jpg
blackumbrellagoldhandle5.jpg
blackumbrellagoldhandle6.jpg

Hi,

I wondered the same thing as Jonathan. If the covering is nylon, then it is surely modern. An antique umbrella would have a canopy made of silk. Also, the canopy and frame look to be too wide and large for an antique umbrella. The handle is antique, looks circa late 1800s and I would think the top would be more keeping in scale with the umbrellas of that time.

It may have been a handle to a parasol, not an umbrella.

The handle is beautiful.

Back