Help dating and authenticating Levi's denim shirt

ThriftShopper

Registered Guest
Hello!

I recently stumbled upon a Levi's denim shirt in a flea market and after checking the label database on this site I found a match with a 1950s denim shirt label. This is my picture:

Mxhmx9h.jpg

It looks quite similar to the first one in the label resource here. That one says it is from a denim shirt from the 1950s. So my questions are: Is this label specific for the 1950s? If this denim shirt is from the 1950s, what are some other things I should check to make sure it isn't counterfeit? Like for instance, should the "Levi's" on the red tab be with a big E (which it isn't on mine)? I am looking to sell the shirt so I want to make sure it is authentic. Price estimations are welcome as well. If needed I can take more pictures.

Okay here are some other pictures, sorry for the bad quality.

84TUgQq.jpg

MnKmFrJ.jpg

ngIrp8M.jpg

If there is anything you need to see more detailed then let me know.

The "Saddleman" label was used all the way up until the 70s. A small "e" on the red tab means post-1971. And judging by the weave pattern on the inside of the shirt I would say this is "chambray" and probably not "denim." That's okay though. Does not hurt the value and may even increase it. Does it have a country of origin? Regardless, I'd say this is probably 1970s.

I must admit I'm not quite aware of the difference between chambray and denim, I'll look into it. I'm quite new at this. It does not have a country of origin.

Edit: I took a look in your fabric resource and it would appear to be denim, not Chambray.

I agree that it's probably 70's, Chambray is a very light weight cotton which is a lighter blue in colour. Levi stopped using the capital E on the pocket tabs after 1971, older tabs will also not have an trademark symbol. Hope this helps :)

Why would the label have 2 words spelled wrong and spaced incorrectly? Levis trauss (instead of Levi Strauss) and San Francis Co (instead of San Francisco)? The label looks odd to me and does not match the one in our resources. Possibly a fake?

Back