Help dating gorgeous Women’s suit - 1910-20’s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by IM_Jme, Aug 29, 2024.

1. IM_Jme

IM_Jme Registered Guest

IMG_3495.jpeg Here is lovely suit I picked up recently and need help dating (if possible). There are no tags. The fabric appears to be wool with a satin lining. The skirt is unlined. Most of the jacket and skirt have been hand finished. HOWEVER, the skirt appears to have been re-hemmed as there are 2 other faint hemline stitch lines and the side slits show they may have been opened/added later - I can see it was stitched at one time. I believe the internal waistband was added later and the pockets have been serged. However, nothing else on this suit has been serged so possibly a later repair? What would you call this type of suit? Thank you all!
    Jamie - [removed by admin]

IMG_3495.jpeg IMG_3500.jpeg IMG_3488.jpeg IMG_3489.jpeg IMG_3487.jpeg IMG_3486.jpeg IMG_3484.jpeg IMG_3483.jpeg IMG_3494.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2024
  2. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

That is gorgeous!

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

My first reaction is around 1917. The skirt is a bit narrow for that time, so I thought maybe 1914, but the skirt looks a bit short for that year, although the women may have been short. Let see what others think.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2024
    IM_Jme likes this.
  4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

The length of the jacket is throwing me off. My initial reaction was mid-teens.

5. IM_Jme

IM_Jme Registered Guest

This skirt is tiny with waist just under 24” … and the hemline has changed through the years. Possibly skirt was narrowed/altered since the pockets and waist have been repaired and areas of the skirt have different thread. I cannot see that the Jacket has been repaired or redone in any way BUT I have not opened up the lining. With items that are this old I imagine they may have gone through several owners and repairs.

I adore the deep midnight blue color. Maybe this was made for young girl/teen?
    Thank you for your expertise and help.

6. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

It's lovely! I particularly like the collar and detailing on jacket, you couldn't help but feel elegant wearing this. My guess would be mid to late 1910s. I've been watching Mr Selfridge recently on catch-up, and this suit really reminds me of something Rose (Mr S's wife) would wear in the period around WWII.

7. DaisyandStella

DaisyandStella VFG Member

I agree with the others mid to late 1910s, however, I also think that jacket has been altered in some way. It seems too fitted for that time period and the length also is throwing me off. I wonder if it had a peplum / extension that was removed under the embroidered waistband detail.

It’s gorgeous either way. I’d be interested to hear Jonathan’s thoughts on this one.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  8. I too was wondering the same about the jacket. That is was shortened.
    A beautiful piece, non the less.

DaisyandStella likes this.