Help dating this dress? Victorian?

DoubleSeahorse

Registered Guest
I picked up this dress this morning and it needs some cleaning but the design of the bodice really interested me. It looks Victorian inspired but I don't think it is from the Victorian period. The bodice is unboned and the dress looks to be home tailored taffeta and floor length. The fabrig is a very pale pinkish peach and the stitching is done with light teal-colored thread, which makes a nice contrast up close. The back has no further ornamentation. The dress came with what I think is a matching drawstring handbag with one of those round pieces on the bottom.

Hollis, any thoughts? :)

I also picked up what I think is an 1860's child's hat/bonnet. I'll post pics of that later on.

vicdress.jpg

Thanks in advance!

~Tiff~

You are absolutely right - it isn't Vicorian but it is Victorian inspired. There was a Victorian revival in the very late 30s and 1940s and that is what you have. The lack of struture, the taffeta, the short puff sleeves, and the sweetheart neckline all point to the 40s. If it is home tailored, the purse was most likely made for the same special occasion. It could have been made for a summer dance, or even a wedding.

Hollis

YAAAYYY!! I was going to say late 30s! I am always so thrilled when the date I think of, matches Hollis or Jonathan (who do know what they are talking about! :) )

Tiff, this is very, very pretty.

Sue

Back