Help identifying gunne sax style prarie dress

juniper

Registered Guest
Hi there,

I found this dress at a thrift store, and it looks very similar to gunne sax prairie dresses I've been looking at. The label was cut off, so all that's left is a pink tag on the seam, with size and a product number. The trim detailing is black ribbon. Any idea if this may be an original gunne sax, or thoughts otherwise on the brand or dating?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    366 KB · Views: 406
That looks very short for a '70s prairie dress. Has it been shortened?

If you can show photos of the labels it will help. Nice, clear and crisp photos so we can see the details. Thank you.

Can you tell if the hem is original? It could be '70s but it's rather short so might be more modern. The extra pics are nice but they don't help me determine if the hem is the original length.

Hi,

I might date this to circa 1973 give or take a year. It looks to be made a rayon challis (or similar smooth soft rayon fabric). I believe the hem and length are original. Both my sister and I had an extremely similar dress, and ours were also made of a rayon challis. These were Midi dresses made to wear with boots. While the style is similar to a Prairie dress, at the time they were market as a Gypsy Bohemian style.

If I can find photos of my dress I will post them here and you will see that they look nearly identical except for the colors. I cannot recall the name on the label of our dresses, but it is still in my files as a photo also. They were not Gunne Sax. Mine had a lace up faux belt effect in front, my sister's did not. Seems I recall she was always wearing mine and not hers!

This looks very much like the dresses with the "Ragtime" label. I own one that I wear and you can find them for sale online. Agree, c. 1973.
My Ragtime peasant dress (sorry, I don't have access to a photo of the full dress or the actual dress, at the moment):
Janragtimedress.JPG

peasantragtimelabel.JPG

Here's another Ragtime dress with a print that is similar to yours:
ragtime1.JPG

Back