Help please on black BALLOON Dress!

b*a*vintagequeen

Registered Guest
I need a date for this! Back metal zipper and the only label I found was a small white one with a size 9 on it.

1097707382149_bal01.JPG

1100898858715_bal2.JPG

1100616668544_bal57.JPG

I am not sure what the fabric is, possibly a rayon. The fabric has a very fine ribbing in it and the edges of the seams are not serged and as you can see the fabric is frayed.

1098350255194_bal56.JPG

1099471472534_bal58.JPG

So any help..

Hi,
I would say 50's with the 3/4 sleeves and metal zipper.
Very pretty and just perfect for what is on the runways right now. See the new scans thead.
Looks like faille. Possibly silk. Can you do a fiber burn test?

Marie

Yes I saw the scan and will use the blue dress one! I dont know how to do a burn test? Well I mean I dont know what is supposed to smell like what!

Very pretty. I think it is faille, too. I agree with Marie on the date.

Silk will smell organic, kinda like hair.
"Silk is a protein fiber and usually burns readily, not necessarily with a steady flame, and smells like burning hair. The ash is easily crumbled. Silk samples are not as easily extinguished as cotton or linen."

Save this link:

http://www.fabrics.net/fabricsr.asp

Try these tests on fabric that you already know the content so you can get used to what to look for.

The dress is great..it should do quite well.

Marie

The only thing that throws me off on the 1950s is the size 9. If it were a size 9 in the 50s, you would never be able to fit it on the manni at all. Perhaps that this refers to something other than a size number? Unless it is some other international sizing scale.

I think it's 50s and looks like silk faille, too. I don't know about the 9 size and the mannequin, though. If the mannequin can wear a 2-4, I'd think the vintage size 9 would fit.

Steph

You know...i think i always get confused thinking that a manni would be a bigger size than that. i think its since i have the same waist measure of many mannequins i automatically assume that they would wear the same vintage clothing size as i do...but i forget that the rest of them is also proportionally small too instead of what i get to deal with. Lucky them. :)

I hope this does really well!!! I have a few dresses to pick up tomorrow and i can't wait to show em..

Well my manni has a 34 almost 35" bust and this actually fit her quite well.

The little white and blue tag has "Lot No" which is blank. ane then "Size 9".

The "treatment" under the arms is a panel sewn in (a large diamond shape) to give you room to move since the sleeves are so narrow...I have seen that in earlier dresses and gowns before.

the underarm addition would be a 'gusset' and I have had them on several of my vintage dresses.

I also agree with the date and the fabric looking like a silk faille - and make sure to use a scan of the current trend with this. Wonderful dress, Susan!

Sue

Back