Help to date a Pendleton light jacket

Gayle Atkins

Registered Guest
Hi all.

Hope that you can help me to date a vintage Pendleton light jacket. I think it's 1970s but it has a personalised label. I haven't seen a label like that before. It's really well made. Thanks everyone :)

DSC_0243.jpeg
DSC_0244.jpeg
DSC_0248.jpeg
DSC_0249.jpeg

Attachments

• DSC_0245.jpeg
    DSC_0245.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_0246.jpeg
    DSC_0246.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_0247.jpeg
    DSC_0247.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC_0250.jpeg
    DSC_0250.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 92
Several odd things. That Pendleton label is a commercial ready to wear label. To my knwoledge, Pendleton didn't do custom work. The made 'especially for you' label is a type sold to seamstresses and dressmakers. The two labels are pretty much mutally exclusive. What I am thinking is that with the lace hem tape (almost always an indicator of local construction) and the hand whipped in lining at the pocket is that the owner had a local seamstress line this wool over-shirt style jacket for her and that Mary Alice moved the original Pendleton label where it could be seen and added her own label for her work on it.

I agree with Hollis.
As for the Pendleton label itself, it's pre-woolmark so it is pre-1964. The label also doesn't have the little square in the lower right with the size letter. I'm going to guess 1950s on this one. I'm not the best at dating men's shirts by style (collar points, etc) so maybe someone else will step in. :)
I love Pendleton!

Several odd things. That Pendleton label is a commercial ready to wear label. To my knwoledge, Pendleton didn't do custom work. The made 'especially for you' label is a type sold to seamstresses and dressmakers. The two labels are pretty much mutally exclusive. What I am thinking is that with the lace hem tape (almost always an indicator of local construction) and the hand whipped in lining at the pocket is that the owner had a local seamstress line this wool over-shirt style jacket for her and that Mary Alice moved the original Pendleton label where it could be seen and added her own label for her work on it.

Oooh, I love this! Thank you so much

I agree with Hollis.
As for the Pendleton label itself, it's pre-woolmark so it is pre-1964. The label also doesn't have the little square in the lower right with the size letter. I'm going to guess 1950s on this one. I'm not the best at dating men's shirts by style (collar points, etc) so maybe someone else will step in. :)
I love Pendleton!

Thanks Donna - I love finding Pendleton pieces. A Pendleton blanket is so much on my wish list :)

Back