Would you keep it or try to sell it?

• Keep it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sell it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

thriftcat85

Registered Guest
Hi. I'm a new member to VFG, but I've been a hobby re-seller for years.

I made the treasure find of all my finds recently - a vintage Vicuna coat. I didn't even know what it was in the store, just that it felt lovely. It's a beautiful black swing coat, ladies, about a modern size 2 petite. It fits me like a dream, and I'm 5'1. I'm so tempted to keep it to myself as my wardrobe diamond, but am also interested to see what you all think it could be worth selling.

There's no brand label, just a material label with a coat of arms, and a Union label National Recovery Board Coat & Suit Industry, which was used between 1938 - 1964, I believe. The swing coat style I think was popular in the 50s and 60s.

I had a furrier look at the coat, and she believes that it's authentic Vicuna wool, based on the soft feel and weight of the coat. Also, it's in pristine condition, doesn't even really need cleaning, zero damage. It's incredible.

I'd welcome some advise here - how would go about figuring a price on something like this? Where would you find a buyer? Which platform would you market it on - globally - domestically?

Thank you for your feedback.

Attachments

• vicuna.jpg
    vicuna.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 419
  • coat2.jpg
    coat2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 431
  • tag.jpg
    tag.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 396
  • tag2.jpg
    tag2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 379
  • backcoat.jpg
    backcoat.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 411
  • insidecoat.jpg
    insidecoat.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 382
  • coatcollage.jpg
    coatcollage.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 484
You can look at sold examples on platforms like Ebay, Etsy, online auctions. Some auction houses will also provide a valuation service either free or for a fee. The sold examples if recent are a better example of it's current value.

You can look at sold examples on platforms like Ebay, Etsy, online auctions. Some auction houses will also provide a valuation service either free or for a fee. The sold examples if recent are a better example of it's current value.

Thanks - yes, that's the first thing I did, because I sell on those platforms as well. There's only a handful of completed listings in the past few years, and they were not comparable to my coat at all, with regards to style and condition. Kind of lost...

I just had a quick peek on etsy and found two vintage Vicuna coats between 40's-60's. Both in very good condition. I think you can find them out there in the ether but they do seem to be very rare indeed. In terms of pricing i'm not sure that it's supposed to be discussed on this forum as per the rules.

You do have something rather unique!

I just had a quick peek on etsy and found two vintage Vicuna coats between 40's-60's. Both in very good condition. I think you can find them out there in the ether but they do seem to be very rare indeed. In terms of pricing i'm not sure that it's supposed to be discussed on this forum as per the rules.

You do have something rather unique!

Oh, I didn't know if we could discuss pricing, but just figured that's what QA was for - will read rules. Thanks!

I am unsure where you are located but some states, California, Michigan and Deleware, it is illegal to sell vicuna. Caryn mentioned this in 2016; so there may be other states now. It may also be illegal in other countries, but you would have to research.

Lovely coat btw - uber soft, I’m sure.

It is beautiful. Vicuna is very soft too. As Deborah was saying it is unfortunately legally prohibited from being sold within the states mentioned, others as well now, and internationally. There are some exceptions which can be seen here if you click on the I or II but because of not knowing the origins and similarity in spelling as well, as of 2017 you must have permitting to be able to sell any at all.

The hidden link I provided is for the international checklist of species which tells you what species cannot be internationally traded. The I would indicate not at all and the II would indicate there were restrictions.

It is beautiful. Vicuna is very soft too. As Deborah was saying it is unfortunately legally prohibited from being sold within the states mentioned, others as well now, and internationally. There are some exceptions which can be seen here if you click on the I or II but because of not knowing the origins and similarity in spelling as well, as of 2017 you must have permitting to be able to sell any at all.

The hidden link I provided is for the international checklist of species which tells you what species cannot be internationally traded. The I would indicate not at all and the II would indicate there were restrictions.

The restrictions seem to talk about processing vicuna for manufacturing regarding international trade, not just selling a finished product within the US. Will look into it more, thanks.

Back