Help with a vintage fabric

Julie Schwartz

Registered Guest
Hello!
I am really hoping to locate this fabric. Does anyone here sell this fabric, know anything about it or how to locate it? I would greatly appreciate your help.
kind regards,
Julie

Attachments

• IMG_6981.jpeg
    IMG_6981.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 71
This looks more like an antique trim, than what I would refer to as a fabric. If you do a search using that term, and black and gold, you will likely turn some up. Trims I've found from this era - likely 1900 - 1910, are exquisitely made and hard to find in a useful length. They can also be collectible and expensive. Especially, if long enough to use on a whole garment! It will help to open your search if you are not completely set on this pattern, and willing to collect scraps of different ones that can be pieced together while you are on the hunt. When you are scouring vintage flea markets and antique shows, you can ask dealers who specialize in fabric and notions if they have trim of a significant length. It will more than likely not be on display, and you will need to ask.

This looks more like an antique trim, than what I would refer to as a fabric. If you do a search using that term, and black and gold, you will likely turn some up. Trims I've found from this era - likely 1900 - 1910, are exquisitely made and hard to find in a useful length. They can also be collectible and expensive. Especially, if long enough to use on a whole garment! It will help to open your search if you are not completely set on this pattern, and willing to collect scraps of different ones that can be pieced together while you are on the hunt. When you are scouring vintage flea markets and antique shows, you can ask dealers who specialize in fabric and notions if they have trim of a significant length. It will more than likely not be on display, and you will need to ask.
WOW!! THANK YOU for your extremely informative response. I truly appreciate it! You are extremely knowledgeable and I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond! kind regards, Julie

Sadie gives some good advice. I am not sure this is an antique trim, however. I just get a different vibe from it. Based purely on the photos, of course. Can you show a close up of the weave, and can you determine the fibers?

THANK YOU!! I really appreciate your help and detective work! That’s very interesting that you think it could be a newer piece. Here are a few more photos. Thank you again for taking the time to respond!

Attachments

• IMG_7052.png
    IMG_7052.png
    659.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7051.jpeg
    IMG_7051.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7050.jpeg
    IMG_7050.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 52
I'm still in the camp of older, with the additional pictures. That loose stitch looks a lot like "forbidden" stitch. Either way, it will help your hunt tremendously by looking for trim, rather than fabric! Determining fiber will help sway the argument either way - but, ultimately, you are looking for trim. And, if this is newer, you may find an exact match. If it is older, not likely. It is really lovely, no matter the age. And, like I said earlier, it won't be cheap - especially if it's antique. But, even new trims are not cheap, no matter the fiber and quality workmanship.

I'm still in the camp of older, with the additional pictures. That loose stitch looks a lot like "forbidden" stitch. Either way, it will help your hunt tremendously by looking for trim, rather than fabric! Determining fiber will help sway the argument either way - but, ultimately, you are looking for trim. And, if this is newer, you may find an exact match. If it is older, not likely. It is really lovely, no matter the age. And, like I said earlier, it won't be cheap - especially if it's antique. But, even new trims are not cheap, no matter the fiber and quality workmanship.

Thank you so much for your response. Would you happen to know if it’s French or from India?
Thank you so much for your help! You are truly wonderful and so knowledgeable and I greatly appreciate it!

Hi, thanks for the added photos. I stick with newer trim. The black semi sheer part resembles organza, although I doubt this is silk. I also agree with Marzilli that the looseness of the embroidery does not say antique at all to me. It may be imported, it may be polyester. If you can find a tiny snippet or threads to burn, that will tell some clues.

It does not appear India made to me, but of course I cannot say for sure. Why do you think its French?

For some reason I get a 1980s vibe.

A women on Etsy who has a lace store said she thought the embroidery was metal on silk and she thought French. I started looking for trim metals but I do not see anything similar. If it’s from the 80’s it’s over 50 years so probably will be very difficult to find. What country of origin do you think
It’s from? I do not personally have this fabric. I discovered it online unfortunately after it was sold. I even contacted the seller she didn’t know much about it. She bought it vintage.
I really appreciate you getting back to me and all your insight. I wrote a few fabric/textiles companies so will keep you posted if I learn anything. Thank you again!

Back