help with mary quant jacket

merrill

Registered Guest
hello
its me the novice again
i have heard of mary quant of course but i cant find an informative website about her clothes
i have had to pieces bought into the shop one is a mustard colour shirt the label says mary quant for viyella i would love to know how old it is
also a little green cordouroy jacket with plum colour lining with a lovely little frilly pleat round the bottom i think its called a peplum? the label is off white with greenish writing i have included some pictures again can anyone help with dates ?
thanks merrill

That flower I usually associate with 80s, but Liz knows more about Mary Quant than I, so i will defer to her 70s/80s time range.

It does look like a small peplum. i can kindof sort of make it out from the picture. if it starts at the waist or just directly the natural waist (the peplum part) than it is so. If it starts out much lower than it is a ruffle. Peplums were seen a lot in the 80s adn a little bit in the early 90s adn they are more apparent when the item is on a person or a dressform/mannequin. Are the shoulders "structered"?

chris

hello chris
the frilly bit starts at the waist and there is no padding on the shoulders
the collar is interesting too i thinks its called mandarin style and from what i remember of the 80,s shoulder pads and huge collars were the style.
i would also love to know when mary quant designed for viyella
thanks
merill.

Viyella is a blend of wool and cotton. I've seen labels that read "made from Viyella", but never a brand called Viyella. Anyone?

Back