Help with name of western clothing brand "Lilia..."

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Rennende, Aug 21, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Rennende

Rennende Registered Guest

Hi all. I've been collecting clothing from a brand that appears to have been producing clothes mainly in the 80s and 90s. I always have to search using multiple names because I cant figure out which it is. It is either Lilia Smitty, Lilia Guilty, or a secret third thing..

I've attached a few examples of garment tags.

If anyone knows for sure what the brand name is, and even better if you have info on the brand's history, I would be overjoyed!

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. retro ruth

retro ruth Administrator Staff Member

I think it might simply be Smith, with the final stroke of the h being a little long and low

3. retro ruth

A quick search for Lilia Smith Western Wear brings up loads of results, so I’m now sure it’s Smith

4. Rennende

Yes, but my problem is that many results also come up for Lilia Smitty, and Lilia Guilty, and even Lilia Suity, and they are all the same brand.

I agree it could be Smith, but I am hoping someone here has a resource with some information on the brand's history or evidence that it is a particular one of these names.

5. retro ruth

Hopefully someone will have information for you. I see what you mean, but I’m still certain it’s Smith. None of the other possible readings are likely, and the script is good for smith

6. retro ruth

7. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

Here is what I had on one of my very old listings. Lilia Smith Exclusive which was in use from 1989 to 2001. Made in the U.S.A. I have no idea where I got this info or how accurate it is.

8. retro ruth

You probably got it from the trademark info in the link I posted, as it matches.

However it seems that Lilia smith western wear started earlier but perhaps was not trademarked?

9. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Thanks Ruth! Yes, I have had other Lilia Smith dresses as well.

I think that comes from some folks winging it, and then others find them in searches, and accept the original guess as fact. We see the same problem with dating sometimes.

The trademark info is pretty conclusive - someone had to type that, not read cursive.

plousia likes this.
  10. Rennende

Thank you so much everyone! The trademark info is very useful, exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Now I will be on a mission to let everyone know, haha

retro ruth and MagsRags like this.
  11. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Here is further evidence in this (part of) one of many ads I found for Lilia Smith blouses...
    LiliaSmithBlouseInAd1989.jpg

12. Rennende

Amazing! Thank you so much! May I ask how you found this and what publication it is from (if you know)?

13. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Happy to help.

The newspaper is the Arizona Republic (and there were many similar mentions in other editions of that paper) and I was able to access it through a Proquest database to which I have access through my graduate school library; try asking your school library about it. Also, many/most public libraries provide access to Proquest, but they usually have only select Proquest packages, which may not include the same package material to which I have access.

PLEASE NOTE: This is posted here for educational purposes only and may not be reprinted anywhere else, for copyright reasons.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2024
  14. Rennende

Oh how smart. I have tried to do vintage clothing research using the databases my university gives me access to, but it's never been very helpful. There's more of a focus on scientific and literary journals.

I just did a little searching around in proquest and nothing is coming up for the Arizona Republic newspaper or Lilia Smith, unfortunately. I never thought to check with the library though... Thank you!