Help with these 50s dresses

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lulu Poppins, Aug 12, 2024.

1. Lulu Poppins

Lulu Poppins Registered Guest

Hi,
    I have these two dresses which I'm dating 50s, and would like some help on the name of the fabric of the one all pink. It's stiffy but sheer, and I don't know the name. Also, the tissue below the shawl collar is super soft, it's a net but very delicate.
    Can please anyone help? Does this neckline has another or a better name than shawl collar? (Is it a bardot?)

The one which has the white neckline, is all cotton. Is there anyone who can help with the name of this collar?

Thank you so much. I appreciate your help.

Attached Files:

2. BlackLotusVintage

BlackLotusVintage VFG Board Member Staff Member

Beautiful dresses!
    The pink sheer fabric looks like a nylon chiffon, possibly an organza. It looks to be nylon to me, but if it is more cottony it could be organdy. I would consider the lining to be a mesh- unless it's very stiff?
    I believe both collars could be considered shawl collars.

3. Lulu Poppins

Definetly will be taking this info into account! You've been very kind. Thank you so much!

4. I agree with your '50s dating, I would put them as late '50s. I'll answer your questions in order:

..would like some help on the name of the fabric of the one all pink. It's stiffy but sheer, and I don't know the name.
    Is it a textured fabric? Appears to be flocked nylon.

Also, the tissue below the shawl collar is super soft, it's a net but very delicate.
    Looks like a tulle, usually nylon but if it's soft it could be rayon.

Does this neckline has another or a better name than shawl collar? (Is it a bardot?). The one which has the white neckline, is all cotton. Is there anyone who can help with the name of this collar?
    I'd call both of these these portrait collars - it's a type of wide shawl collar, but it sits further away from the neckline. The second one could be called a 'notched' portrait collar but notched collars are usually two pieces, while here a piece has been simply cut out to give the effect.

Nicole

5. Lulu Poppins

Thank you Nicole!

In reply to your question about if it's flocked, it has stamped flowers, I don't know the name of this neither... I'm attaching a couple of pictures for showing them in a close up and I hope that helps.

"Looks like a tulle, usually nylon but if it's soft it could be rayon". Yes, very very soft and delicate. I made a hole on it by closing the zipper without noticing, and it has some other holes, it's probably rayon then.

"I'd call both of these these portrait collars - it's a type of wide shawl collar, but it sits further away from the neckline. The second one could be called a 'notched' portrait collar but notched collars are usually two pieces, while here a piece has been simply cut out to give the effect".

Thank youso much for this as well, very helpful info!

Nicole[/QUOTE]

Attached Files:

BlackLotusVintage likes this.
  6. BlackLotusVintage

BlackLotusVintage VFG Board Member Staff Member

Are the flowers fuzzy?

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  7. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I would agree that the fabric is probably nylon organdy. The white collar looks like pique. Is it cotton?

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  8. Lulu Poppins

Hi!
    Yes, it's cotton.
    Thank you for the info :).

9. Lulu Poppins

Hi! No, the flowers are quite defined, and they have some relief.

BlackLotusVintage likes this.