Here I am again....

gaildavid

VFG Member
Needing more help. Today I am trying to work on a few items for this month's VTA....menswear!

This shirt has a "Guys and Dolls" label which states 1958...or 3...or 2. :rolleyes: (I didn't know they had a line of clothing!!) Do you think that was the actual date of the shirt or when the musical came out?

guys1.jpg

The shirt's collar has a button on the back...a typical "pleat" or whatever it is called in the back with no fabric loop at the top.

guys3.jpg

The next shirt is from John Weitz. David said he thinks it is 70's but I just wanted to check:

john1.jpg

It has metal snap buttons and the pockets have zippers. :cool2:

john3.jpg

Any ideas for me? Thanks...you guys are great! :wub:

Gail

Guys and Dolls the movie was out in 1955.

The musical on broadway COULD have been 52 but i don't remember...would really have to look at up. But broadway shows were just as big as movies back then and had much more widespread mainstream popularity more so than the do now.

Actually, no i am wrong....Guys and Dolls was 1950, as it won the tony award in 51, but might not have caught on with the whole country until the next few years touring, etc.

John Weitz launched his mens wear in 1964 - if you Google him, he is quite an interesting character - military intelligence, fashion designer and author of a book on Hitler!
Some details here
The collar on this shirt looks like the typical 70s long pointed shape to me.

Back