Horse Riding Outfit?

I recently acquired a *I think* 1920's horse riding ensemble. The ensemble consist of a jacket, riding skirt and knickers (riding pants). The buttons are celluloid, and also hooks & snaps for closure. Can someone help me with the date/era? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
ebay062107no043.jpg

ebay062107no045.jpg

ebay062107no065.jpg

ebay062107no073.jpg

ebay062107no069.jpg

We do have a couple of experts here that should be able to answer your questions on this great looking ensemble. I am sure that tomorrow, they will check in. Meanwhile, you might want to go to the home page and check out the equestrian gallery from there.

Brenda~ Thanks for your quick reply, I checked out that gallery a few days ago! I saw earlier examples, but I didn't see anything that matched. (for era's). I 'll check back tomorrow. Thanks again!

Definitely NOT a riding outfit but probably a countryside outfit for shooting (like pheasant hunting) or walking (or rambling as they call it over here).:USETHUMBUP:

Lei

The skirt has been taken up and can be let out again.

What is the difference between riding pants and jodhpurs? These would be jodhpurs correct?

I have not watched Poirot, (I spend way too much time on the computer!), but does anybody have a picture of something similar from the Poirot?

Riding pants is a US term for any trouser worn for riding whether they be breeches or jodhpurs :)

Although the trousers for your outfit would not have been worn for riding, they are still called breeches as they are knee length.

Riding breeches of this era, would have had knee patches made of leather (or suede) or matching fabric. Generally, vintage motorcycle, army or sporting (not including horse riding) breeches do not tend to have knee patches HOWEVER, all vintage breeches regardless of use, always fastens with buttons, lacing or rarely, hooks.

When it comes to talking about horse riding trousers, breeches always have knee patches (full seats are a relatively modern invention), and end at knee or calf length as they are always worn with long riding boots. Jodhpurs always have knee patches as well and come down to the ankle so you can wear them with paddock or jodhpur boots.

Hope this helps!

Lei who lives in her manure stained jodhpurs everyday!:hysterical:

Also too, those breeches would have been worn underneath the skirt for modesty while out in the countryside, just in case you tripped over a stile or something so all the men in the group wouldn't get a glimpse of your nether regions!:hysterical:

I chased all over Google Images thinking I could call up similar Poirot clothing, but no...not yet...sorry.

I spent most of the day looking for Poirot images for something similar to this, keep seeing the actors and not many actresses!! What's up with that Agathea? (coming from a woman). But many thanks for searching for me.

Back