How do you repair moth holes?

Hmmm...

that is a good question.

I guess it would also depend on where the moth holes were on the garment as well. I have darned small holes as well on the opposite side of the garment, but i would think it would depend on how prominent they are as far as placement and size depending on how you would go about it. (or if you would)

Chris

There is a lot one can learn from this group. I am returning a clutch coat to its original condition right now. someone added onto the sleeves to length in at some point. I knew some techniques before but would not have the confidence to restore like that if i didn't learn so much from this group. I had a background from the theater, but always dealt with things that were made to be changed, and never did much major restoration aside from repair on vintage garments across the board. Stick around and you will learn a lot!

Does the coat have any hem allowance, or could be hemmed up just a tiny bit without compromising the sihouette at all? hmmm...if they were tiny holes i would just stitch em up, but maybe wait for some experts to come along.

That would be great. Even a full shot showing where the moth holes are in relation and we could tell if they are even prominent, and then maybe a shot with something familiar against them like a quarter or something for some perspective. People are really good here at helping out and solving mysteries. (they just may not be around as much at this very second)

Chris

I have had some luck with weaving moth holes - the trick is to match the
thread fiber exactly (and therein lays the problem in most cases). Matching the colour is probably more difficult than matching cotton, wool, etc. With some practice you can copy the weave pretty well. If you have an invisible mender/weaver close to you though I would take it in and have it done professionally.

Sue

If the weave is not too tight, like a gabardine, then reweaving is fairly easy. Boucles and fuzzy fibers are the easiest, with flannels being a bit more difficult. I take a bit of yarn from an inside edge (you may have to open the lining a bit) and run it along with the intact weave across the hole. If I'm lucky, the repair can't be seen at all.

Hollis can shed some more light on this.

Lizzie

ok, i dont know what anyone else will think of this of this idea, i may get some comments, but i have done this and it works well if you take your time:

when i have had items in the past that have a hole that i cannot sew together or that i can not afford to have professionally repaired, i use wonderweb! For example, if an item has a large moth hole, i take a piece of material from the hem or seam slightly larger than the actual hole size, i cut small pieces of wonderweb and lay the "patch" of material over the hole, then i carefully insert the pieces of wonder web under the edges of the "patch" ( this is all done from the inside of the garment), making sure that the wonderweb doesnt go too far under the edge so that it shows alot of the outside ( a little bit is ok), then lay a damp cloth on top of the patch and place a warm iron on it, even better with a tiny bit of steam, and the wonder web seals the patch into place without any stitches requierd making the repair almost invidible. Wonderweb can be washed too , although i always wash it gently, usually by hand as i would a vintage item anyway. I really have worked mini miracles with this method and its great for items that cant be sewn too, like materials that will just keep pulling apart if you sew a tear or something ( like muslin or something very fine).
kelly

1/4" holes are too big to try to pull together - you will get a nasty pucker.

If it's really nice coat, and you can afford the repair in your cost, have it done professionally.

If it's an okay coat, and you are VERY patient and handy with a needle, pull some threads from one of th interior seams and reweave the hole from the wrong side. You don't need to kno the fibers, just use tiny stitches to start and weave in and out. This is tricky and to look good takes quite a while. You will need a needle threader , excellent lighting and a big magnifying glass. One of those work lights with the flourescent ring around the large magnifying glass is great.

Try one hole. If it doesn't look good enough to wear it yourself, then reconsider the professional approach.

The result will greatly depend on the weave. If it's a twill weave, or, god forbid, a 2 color twill weave or a smooth, slick finish - have a pro do it.

If you try the wonder web approach on a coat weight wool, I would add the filler from the back and never press from the front as you will often get a rim where the fabric is 2 layers thick.

Hollis

hollis

In order to repair moth holes, you will need some little teeny, tiny Band-aids, some little bitty tweezers, and some VERY diluted anesthetic.

GOOD LUCK!:USETHUMBUP:

Janine

Back