How do you store/display your vintage purses?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by mercyonthesubway, Nov 30, 2010.

1. mercyonthesubway

mercyonthesubway Registered Guest

I am in a very much pre-renovated house, but already I'm looking beadily at corners, walls and potential shelf-space with an eye to creating a small purse display.

So I searched Flickr for what others have done and found a selection of cool purse displays/storage solutions. I've assembled them in a gallery here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vintagevoyager/galleries/72157625495442134/

Can you add to these? I'd love to see more. Partly because I want more inspiration, and partly because I'm nosey about other people's collections.

In addition, if anyone has any particular tips about conservation issues to displaying/storing purses, please let me know. I've got a relatively small quantity of fabric purses, with a couple of vinyl-coated versions and a small handful of box purses (hard vinyl, I think). (Here's the one group I've photographed:
    [​IMG])

Any problems anyone has had with fading, direct light, dust etc, please describe and enlighten!!

thanks everyone, look forward to hearing/seeing more.

2. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

I don't have a lot to add (loved looking over the pics).....2 things strike me though. The beaded bags hung like that will totally destroy them over time. The weight pulling the silk will eventually pull it away from the metal frame. And if you're going to hang vinyl straps, there's a chance after a while the vinyl will peak where it hangs and crack (I have some hung like that at my shop and have lost a couple bags that way!).

Ang

3. mercyonthesubway

very good points, Ang.

So perhaps to start: only hang bags, possibly, with hard handles that won't 'peak' and crack.

Beaded / fabric & frame bags to be laid flat or supported somehow. Am now thinking of invisible props to go under mine...

4. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

I agree with no hanging. Even leather straps will stretch and warp.

I like the photo where the collector put the clutches in the plate rack. You can also display them using little table-top easels. They really are little works of art!

5. mercyonthesubway

:eureka:

it's a *plate rack* - you've no idea - I've been staring at that picture thinking 'I know what that is... but what is it...?'

I like the easel idea. I'm looking at one of those mid-century mini-shelf wall contraptions that one used to perch ceramic ornaments on too... I'm not sure whether it would be large enough for purses.

Honestly. I should really be worrying about paint and floor sanding...

6. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

We once found a collectors case in a second hand furniture shop with a glass front on very cheep, so it's worth looking around those places.

(Corner cabinets can sometime be found and do not take up much walll space.)

that gave us the idea of buying flap packed book cases and making some doors using clear acrylic sheet which is lighter in weight than glass so you can have a lighter frame and see more of the items displayed. nothing gets dusty and the shelf can be moved up or down.

If you buy flat pack you stand a change of finding a style which will go with your present decoration.
    The only thing is our sitting room now looks more like a shop with 5 large display case in it! one 8' by 6'
    there is a compromise to be made and maybe we have it slightly OTT

7. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I live in a humid climate and cannot diplay my handbags in the open - or much else that won't rust. Even "good" bags have problems with smelling moldy and the metal hardware pitting. I store my bags in my closet in flannel or cloth bags or covered. I agree about not hanging them.

Linn