How I spent the last 2 months at the Bar Harbor Historical Society

pastperfect2

Alumni +
It's been a long time coming, but the Summer 2024 exhibits are up! The signage is still in the works, but I don't have to do that, so I am free to move back into cataloging, research and laundering!

I will post photos of the changes to the clothing and textile room soon, we have a few more boxes to label.

First up - we finally finished spending the grant money we received a year ago! Loads of new acid free boxes, and thanks to Monty: shelving, a work table, bolt storage, and a working wash table Plus 9 new display forms, lots of canvas heads and bendable arms. 1 more children's display form to come in yet,though.

So here they are : the new exhibits! Minus one room that is not opening until a special event.

IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_1499.JPG

IMG_1503.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1476.JPG

IMG_1480.JPG

IMG_1481.JPG

IMG_1524.JPG

IMG_1526.JPG

IMG_1529.JPG

IMG_1535.JPG

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1550.JPG

IMG_1551.JPG

Last edited:
FABULOUS!!! Congratulations. I wish I were a bit closer - I would love to visit and see the exhibit and the Historical Society Building. I grew up outside of Albany, went to college in Boston and have been to Maine a number of times - including Bar Harbor. The displays, the setting, the art, etc. and the building are wonderful!!!!

In the not so small world department, I own a late 19C. French headboard, mirror, dresser and dressing table that belonged to my mother - very similar in style to the buffet with the teacups - in the photo with the maid's uniform. I think she inherited it from an aunt who passed away. It hates living in this climate but I have enjoyed it for many years. (My mother lived on Kauai for almost 20 years before she passed away.)

You have found the perfect outlet for your talent, Hollis - I'm sure the BHHS is thrilled to have you and Monty!

Looking forward to more photos.

Thank all of you for the kind words. It means a lot coming from a group of connoisseurs and pros like yourselves.

When they get the signage up, I will add captions to these. I just don't have energy to type it all out myself!
What I am especially pleased with is that we know who owned and wore at least 18 of these ensembles.

Back