India Clothing Glossary

BAKRUM - Coated Interlining Fabric made from coarse count Yarn.

CHOLI - A short blouse usually worn with a saree or a lengha. You can vary the collar, sleeve and length as you choose.

CHUNNI OR DUPATTA - A scarf or wrap worn with most Indian garments. The item can be plain or embellished with embroidery

CHURIDHAR - Fitted pants with deliberate snugness around the calf and ankle with gatherings and hooks for fastening.

DED SUTI - 2 ends parallel Warp and one Pick of Weft - Plain weave fabric ( Oxford Weave)

DO SUTI - 2 ends parallel Warp and 2 ends Parallel Weft Plain weave Fabric. (Basket Weave)

KAMEEZ - A long tunic about knee-length or beyond. The tunic is worn over pants or skirt and can be designed in a number of styles

LACHA - A long skirt and tunic combination along with a chunni makes up a complete set

LENGHA - A long full skirt

LENGHA/CHOLI - A long skirt and and blouse combination along with a chunni makes up a complete set

SALWAR - Wide loose pants with a reinforced cuff and a drawstring usually worn with a long tunic

SAREE OR SARI - lightweight cloth draped so that one end forms a skirt or pajama and the other a head or shoulder covering. A piece of fabric about 6 yards in width and 44" in length which worn wrapped strategically around the body over a skirt petticoat and a choli. Worn by Indian and south Asian women.

ZARDOSI - Intricate hand embroidery using gold, silver or multi- colored wire on a variety of fabrics.

Oh, yes. I forgot we had that article. Sorry Anna.
That's great because I was looking for example. I have several outfits that I need to list and thought the above list would be helpful to print out. I always forget the names.

M

(Foxy never gets tired)

Reading all those Indian words make me think of Indian food.

Taaaaasty, deliiiicious, heeeaavenly, INDIAN FOOD!!:drool:

What I read:

<b>BAKRUM</b> - mixed vegtables and potatoes in a mild curry sauce with coconut and spices

<b>CHOLI</b> - chick peas sauteed in a spicy sauce, served with thick fried bread

<b>CHUNNI OR DUPATTA</b> - your choice of dal pancake, delicately seasoned

<b>CHURIDHAR</b> - spiced shrimp in a hot cilantro curry sauce

<b>DED SUTI</b> - special potato and spice whole wheat bread, pan fried

<b>DO SUTI</b> - special potato and spice white bread, baked in our tandoor

<b>KAMEEZ</b> - tasty appetizer of seasoned spinach deep fried in chick pea flour, served with a selection of chutney

<b>LACHA</b> - our own special home-made sweetened yogurt drink

<b>LENGHA</b> - our own special home-made salt and spice thin yogurt drink

<b>LENGHA/CHOLI</b> - thick, fresh yogurt with salt and spice, served with seasoned spiced chick peas

<b>SALWAR</b> - firey hot chicken dish with tomatos, onions, spices and cream

<b>SAREE OR SARI</b> - famous Indian mixed vegetable soup with masoor dal

<b>ZARDOSI</b> - delicate dessert made with thickened milk and rose water

QUICK! Where ARE those delivery menus??

And it's only 9am....

Janine

Back