Inger McCabe (Elliott) skirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Steph, May 21, 2015.

1. Steph

Steph Registered Guest

Hi! I have a gorgeous skirt that has an "Inger McCabe" label sewn inside. There are no other identifying labels. It is very well-made, of a high quality fabric (that I haven't identified). It has an elastic waistband and a single hip pocket. I know Inger McCabe Elliot designed skirts and other garments and I'm wondering if this is one of her designs? I suppose it's possible that another Inger McCabe owned this skirt and this is a nametag sewn in, but it seems like an unusual name and I haven't found anyone of that name in Tucson, where I sourced the skirt... Anyway, if anyone knows anything about Inger McCabe's designs, I would be very grateful. My googling hasn't yielded much. Thank you!!

Attached Files:

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

The single hip pocket is unusual - I have only seen this previously where the design commanded it - such as a wrap fastening.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  3. Steph

Steph Registered Guest

I can't see any function for it. Thanks for commenting, Melanie! I was wondering if that was a common feature.

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

It doesn't have a repair by any chance? removing a pocket that's made of the same fabric is a good way to salvage a bad tear or hole.

5. Steph

Steph Registered Guest

I don't think there have been any repairs. More observations: There is only one seam, and that is where the pocket is. The skirt is fully lined and the pocket is in the space between the inner and outer layers (does that make sense? In other words, I can't see the pocket when I turn the skirt inside out.)

6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Ah that explains the single pocket - they have gone for a simple design that requires less construction by making the skirt from only one piece.

7. KBMcCabe

KBMcCabe Registered Guest

Hi Stephanie, I realize this post was from 9 years ago but just stumbled on it.

I'm Inger's oldest child and yes, she designed clothing in New York in the late 60s and early 1970s. Her items were sold at Henri Bendel and Bonwit Teller. How fantastic that you have one! She was a true Jill-of-all-Trades--she started out as a photojournalist in the 60s, then sold vintage clothing, then designed and sold her own line, then launched a very successful textile design company called China Seas which sold to interior designers. Eventually she wrote 'the' book on Indonesian batik, called "Batik, Fabled Cloth of Java" which is still available.

Had a good laugh that your question was about the pocket as she was obsessed with pockets! She loved them and always had them in her clothes.

Hope this helps--all best,
    Kari