Is this incredible Embroidered Silk Piano Shawl Dress from two different eras?

helenheven

Registered Guest
Hello - I was wondering if anyone out there had any info on this type of garment - it appears to be a very well-made & thoughtfully designed 1960's - 1970's dress made from a beautiful Victorian/Edwardian/1920's Silk Embroidered Piano Shawl, but it seems better than an untrained Bohemian Hippie recycling job - I know that simply trying to deal with the bias-cut aspect would be more than I could handle! Has anyone got any insight or info of any kind on what this is? Thanks!!
ShwlDrssLSdeSlve.jpg
ShwlDrssFF.jpg

HI,

The shawl looks 1920's, and as you said, the style reminds one of 1970's, say 1970 to 1975 ish. I don't see a lot of bias seaming work on this, but I cannot see the back. It looks very nicely finished. It is beautiful.

Thanks for your responses! What I meant by "dealing with the bias cut" is that this antique shawl was obviously cut on the diagonal & the design has been perfectly centered & preserved. There are only the two side seams which intersect the ingenious bottom "sleeve" seams. The neckline is neatly tucked over and hemmed like a handkerchief as well. Here is a photo of the back.
This seems far more advanced than what I myself or the average amateur would be able to accomplish, so I was wondering if anyone knew of some famous Rock & Roll designer who was doing this sort of thing in the era? Some independent person or company - akin to the San Francisco based leather designers that made custom pieces for Jimi Hendrix & Janis Joplin - I can't remember their name but I'll look it up & post it on my next reply...

This has a custom "rock star" vibe to me - if anyone has any ideas at all, I'd be very grateful!

Also, this shawl looks like a photo of a 1900's hand-embroidered Chinese piece I saw - does anyone know how to date these shawls? Thanks again!!
ShwlDrssFB.jpg

I know Holly Harp started out doing things for Janis. I don't know of any way to tell if it is home made or made for anyone famous, there is no way to be 100% sure that I can think of. It may take some real hunting to find that out!

The shawl still looks 1920s to me. The large scale of the flowers, which do look Chinese, and the extra long fringes look 20s to me. Of course, it could be earlier, I am just guessing from my own experiences with shawls over the years.

B

Thanks Barbara - yes, it's going to take someone who really knew that scene & might recognize the style. By the way, it was "East West Musical Instruments Co." that I was thinking of - they made a lot of rock & roll leather - but were that kind of custom craftsman shop I was imagining...

Linda Gravenites is the designer who used to do the custom work for Janis, which included upcycling vintage pieces. I have seen these before - it wasn't uncommon to remake these shawls (yes, they are Chinese - I recall they are from Macao), and there are articles in early 70s magazines like Rags, that instructs users how to recut them with a layout for the pattern. This one is more expertly remade than most.

Also, Emmy Lou Harris wore something similar on her first (?) or a very early album cover, circa 1970-71. Hers was not as long, but cut and sewn the same. I was around WAY back then and I recall seeing women around Greenwich Village NY wearing similar. Aside from dresses, they were made into wraps, robes and long jackets too.

Jonathan, I love me my "Rags"!

Still In My Hippe Daze.........B

Oh wait.....that's ME in high school! Thanks for a great memory of a great time. I still have that album stored away. And the boots which still fit me.

I know it is not the same quality as the dress, but it was a fun memory.

Back