Is this suit 40's or 70's or somewhere in between?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by ehappy, Aug 27, 2007.

1. ehappy

ehappy Registered Guest

Is this suit 40\'s or 70\'s or somewhere in between?

I picked up this suit the other day, not really giving it a once-over until I got home. My first inkling was 70's - then I found the skirt has a side metal zip, and unfinished seams.

The shirt feels like a heavier silk, and the ascot tie is really thin compared to 70's ascots that I've seen. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only tag is a smallish rectangular one in the collar of the shirt that is not longer readable.
    And also, I'm no seamstress--should I attempt to fix this or list as is?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

I would fix the pit hole, it's not really difficult, just take your time and remember to double back over your stitches occasionally to make them secure if you're hand stitching.

The owner could very well have made her own skirt to match the blouse, and keep in mind that metal zips don't always say what era the item came from. Nylon zips can indicate a later date, sure, but there was never a date when everyone just pitched out all their metal zips. My GGma had sewing notions from every era (oh, to have gotten that when she moved!). She could also sew up a convincing 40s/50s looking house dress well into the 80s. Knew the pattern by heart, you know.

If you're sure the blouse is manufactured, do the button holes go vertically or horizontally?

I could argue all dates, too. :BAGUSE:

3. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

50s would be my guess, and very pretty too!

The seam repair shouldnt be hard to do.

I do not sew either but I do this kind of repair myself and disclose. Anything more complicated I have to send out. I think it always best to be able to list without flaws if possible.

4. ehappy

ehappy Registered Guest

Hi, hatfeathers and cactus! Thanks for your responses.

The button holes go horizontally...does that help date a garment as well?

5. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

The print on the fabric says more modern to me. My Mom was still using metal zippers in the 60's. The 1947 - '64 category seems safe.

6. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

yes, horizontal buttonholes were used up until some time in the 60s, I think....someone help me on that date....
    for some reason manufacturers decided to switch to vertical buttonholes in the more modern eras (at least 70s and up), but again, it's not a hard and fast rule, as things smatter out with these rulings. It's not a Tuesday horizontal, Wednesday vertical thing.
    I have a headache. Sorry for vague-itude.