Janét & Co. Ruana/Shawl??

laciek

Registered Guest
Hello!! I am having the hardest time finding ANYTHING about this beautiful ruana/shawl/poncho/wrap and I'm hoping maybe someone here can help me? I've included a pic of the label- it's the only label on the entire piece.
I am so new at this and I can't tell the type of material or anything but I just know my mom would absolutely love it! lol it's 1000% her style- it just needs to be washed and I don't want to ruin it by accident.. (I actually found it and a few other really nice greentree ruanas, scarfs, etc on the side of the road after someone set them out for trash)!
Thank you so much in advance for your time!!

Attachments

• 17289685461313848044374099038167.jpg
    17289685461313848044374099038167.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 49
Hi there! I also, unfortunately, wasn't able to find anything on the label. Though someone else here may know!
From what I see of the fabric it looks like a wool/mohair type blend. I hand wash these in cold water with a very mild detergent or sulfate free shampoo (I prefer shampoo as I think things come out softer), use a towel to press out any extra water and air-dry flat.

Eucalan is a great woolwash which I use all the time for my hand knits. It contains lanolin so it replenishes wool's natural lanolin and doesn't need to be rinsed out. It comes in mildly scented varieties with scents that tend to repel moths like lavender and grapefruit (to be honest I don't really perceive the scents), or unscented. It can also be used for other non-wool delicates.

Thank you for your replies!! Yeah, I scoured the internet for way longer than I care to admit and couldn't find ANYTHING!!
tbh I thought it might be wool or something similar too but then Google said it should smell kinda like an animal or something when it's wet- and considering I found it in the trash on the side of the road and also own a dog and about fifty eleven cats, I imagine I'm prob nose blind to that kind of smell.. lol bc it didn't smell like anything to me. Lol

Honestly my first impression from your photo was that it's a synthetic material, not wool, though it's hard to be able to tell for sure without handling it.

I found (through a database available through my university library) a 1995 Detroit Fee Press article about Janet & Co. it noted the company was started by "Michigan sewing entrepreneur Janet Pray," who began sewing at the age of five. The 1995 article noted Janet Pray had been marketing her items at Midwest Renaisance Festivals for the prior ten years. It adds "Under the business name Janet & Co., she designs and manufactures colorful melton capes and coats" and her styles are "easy-fitting and classic."

They further note Pray was known for her hand-dyed garments "--from richly colored silk scarves to textured quilted jackets." Additionally they add "Recently she produced an educational video on surface design, titled "Bleach or Dye" and, as president of her own company, American Stitches, she became the organizer and producer of sewing, quilting, and needle arts expositions.

I will try to find more about the end of Janet & Co.

I found (through a database available through my university library) a 1995 Detroit Fee Press article about Janet & Co.

Lynne, you are AMAZING!

Back