Jewelry help please: Edwardian? 20s? 30s? brooches

denisebrain

VFG Vice President
Staff member
VFG Past President
I have a trio of costume jewelry brooches that I believe are paste stones set in pot metal (the silver/blue), and brass (gold/purple and maybe also the gold/green). The gold/green has a C-clasp, the gold/purple has a different sort of safety clasp than I've seen before, with the tiny tabs that you roll to hold the pin in place operating in the opposite direction from usual. The silver/blue is a classic safety clasp.

Could the gold/purple be Arts and Crafts in style? The gold/green Art Nouveau? These two look Edwardian to me but I'm not a jewelry expert. The silver/blue could be as new as 30s? These all came from the same person's jewelry box.

P1016225.JPG

P1016230.JPG

P1016235.JPG

P1016239.JPG

P1016236.JPG

P1016246.JPG

P1016253.JPG

Thank you in advance for help with these!

The top right looks more art Nouveau to me with the curves and flicks, top left with the clear cut style is more deco in appearance, not sure about the one at centre bottom.

IMO both the piece with the green stone and the purple stone are Arts & Crafts and the one with the blue stone is Edwardian - or as you suggest, it could be a bit later - early Art Deco which came right after Edwardian.

Art Nouveau is much more asymmetrical and floral and more "fluid."

Interesting. This is all very helpful—thank you!

I have another question, if I might. I just realized the blue paste is not emerald cut, rather has more facets. Is there a name for this cut?

Back