Judith Leiber Purse Material

rfc100

Registered Guest
I'm trying to figure out the approx. vintage this Judith Leiber purse is and if it's lizard or snake. I think it's lizard. Also, does anyone know if she used sterling silver on her bags? Thanks!

It looks like an impressed or embossed leather to me in the photos, imitating snake, but not real snake, which isn't a bad thing since snake doesn't wear well. the clasp certainly looks like silver to me, does it clean up with silver cleaner?

Thank you for the reply. I'm afraid to touch it with silver cleaner. I know Judith Leiber purses are very expensive, so I'm guessing it either has sterling silver hardware or it's genuine lizard. It does look like embossed leather in the pic, but not as much in person. I'll probably have to take it to a place that would know, but I have no clue where to go. I have a pair of old shoes that look like lizard and a purse that looks like croc that I took to the local cobbler, and he did'n't know what either were for sure.

it could be genuine calfskin or regular leather with the embossing. some high end ones are erally hard to tell from lizard, etc. , although it is hard to tell without touching and even then some genuine lizard bags can fool you into thinkig they are faux. sometimes a way to tell is the regularity or irregularity of the grain. i am on dial up so am not getting the pic to load fully. You won't see that high end of hardware etc if it was totally faux..as in an embossed vinyl but in the better leather purses that are made to look likelizard...you will. so i guess my answer is i don't know for sure, but jsut pointing out just because something is faux doesn't mean it is poorly made or inferior materials. (and some designers choose to not use real skins as well but still want the look)

karung snakeskin....Rachel, where did you find this out? I'm woefully
inadequate when it comes to determining what reptile a skin has come
from. Was it a website you went to?

Sue

First, I researched Judith Leiber, and found out what she uses for her purses. There are a few for sale on various sites that are similar to mine, so then I looked up karung snake. The purse/skin had all the characteristics. I would give you the exact sites if I remembered them!

Hmmm....

i was told that a lot of skins are iguana too. So maybe what i thought was iguana or faux iguana was karung snake. Yours looks much more regular than what i has and if not faux is perhaps the back portion of a snake/lizard. the scales on the underside would be very differently grained...so it would be one very very large lizard or snake if you were to get this uniformity.

Back