Kiki Dress Co Jacket. Vintage Chinese?

Zgoat

Registered Guest
Hello All,
I have tried to find information on this beautiful jacket. I'm guessing it's vintage Chinese? It has batwing sleeves and decorative tassel buttons. The fabric is wool. I'm not sure if it's Tang-inspired. I don't know what to call it to research its origin. Maybe someone could help?
IMG_7730.jpeg

IMG_7734.jpeg

IMG_7738.jpeg

IMG_7739.jpeg

IMG_7731.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7732.jpeg
    IMG_7732.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 8
Hi there, cool jacket! It definitely gives mid 80's- early 90's vibes based on style alone (does it have shoulder pads?). Researching the label brings up many modernish used pieces from foreign (mainly Chinese) selling venues. They all appear to be second hand as well. ThredUp even has the KiKi Dress Co. brand listed in its directory, which tells me they must have a few pieces come through here and there. My guess is they no longer make clothing.
The button/embellishments I believe are a circle or round frog tassels, commonly used on Chinese clothing (and many other inspired designs as a button/rosette tassels). I found this article China's post mao fashion which states "In the 80s, Chinese women strived to keep pace with Western fashion, favoring dresses with excessive-shoulder pads, wide-sleeved blouses resembling bat wings, sport wear and bold-colored leggings."
I definitely think your jacket fits the bill!

1729602931231.png

1729602603631.png
1729602574525.png

1729602718887.png
1729602698003.png

Wow!! That's it. I can't believe you found something on it. I searched and searched!! Yes. The shoulder pads extend beyond the shoulders and give the jacket a strong structure.
You found it!!
In the 80s, Chinese women strived to keep pace with Western fashion, favoring dresses with excessive-shoulder pads, wide-sleeved blouses resembling bat wings, sport wear and bold-colored leggings."

I am so happy! I would have been wondering forever. Thank you so much!
Kirstin

Wow!! That's it. I can't believe you found something on it. I searched and searched!! Yes. The shoulder pads extend beyond the shoulders and give the jacket a strong structure.
You found it!!
In the 80s, Chinese women strived to keep pace with Western fashion, favoring dresses with excessive-shoulder pads, wide-sleeved blouses resembling bat wings, sport wear and bold-colored leggings."

I am so happy! I would have been wondering forever. Thank you so much!
Kirstin
You're welcome! We're aways happy to help and I am always up for a good mystery!!

Back