Laura Ashley Made in Carno Wales Label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Michele Lomas, Mar 6, 2022.

1. Michele Lomas

Michele Lomas Registered Guest

Does anyone know a last approximate date that this Laura Ashley Made in Carno label was used please? Thank you so much.
    Laura Ashley Made in Carno label.jpg

2. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

It's most likely to be 1970's, could you show a picture of the whole of the garment? that will help with dating. I am quite familiar with Laura Ashley clothing. She made the most wonderful maxi dresses in Wales in the 70's.

3. retro ruth

retro ruth Administrator Staff Member

I think this is from the same dress you have shown here, which we thought was early 1980s. https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/threads/vintage-laura-ashley-dress.76891/

Some manufacturing continued at Carno until 2005, though whether 'Made in Carno' appeared on the labels all that time I don't know. And I expect it was a minority of garments that were made there, or perhaps just certain aspects of manufacture such as printing and dyeing? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3951377.stm

Usually you need to use several factors to date a garment, not just the information on the label.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    GemGem likes this.
  4. retro ruth

Reading a bit further, it looks like in later years Laura Ashley was making curtains at Carno, rather than clothing. Hard to know when that change happened.

5. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

It certainly would not have been 60's or even early 70's as the label was quite different then. Most garments made in the 70's had the "Made in Carno, Wales' print on the label but a few in 1980 and a spattering afterwards in the early 80's. It would be really quite helpful to see the piece it its entirety. It was 1984 when they opened the powys factory, prior to that all item were made in Carno.

The 70's garment are quite distinct, with house on the prairie style maxi's and pretty ditsy prints as well as block colours. The blouses tend to the Victorian look popular at the time and the 80's was very classic to the 80's (wide cuts, shoulder pads, velvet strapless numbers etc) so it should be fairly easy to discern if we get some more photo's. :)

Edit: One thing that does make me think of later is that the sizing is given for multiple countries, there are things about that label that suggested 80s.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    retro ruth likes this.
  6. retro ruth

That's very helpful to know. So quite likely "Made in Carno" started disappearing from 1984ish, as I think they wouldn't make special labels just for Carno, even if clothing was still being manufactured there as well as Powys.

7. retro ruth

Did you mean a spattering in the early 90s?

GemGem likes this.
  8. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

No I meant 1980, and the early 80's. Typo (must remember to check before posting!) I think the 'Made in Carno' element started disappearing in 1980 and was completely gone by 84, but I will check more into that. I have never come across an 80's dress with the Made in Carno label, but maybe just because they are rarer?

9. retro ruth

that makes sense now!

10. retro ruth

I think the OPs dress in the other thread is exactly that - an 80s dress saying Made in Carno. Perhaps that also explains the metal zip - they were still using older notions in Carno that probably weren't being used elsewhere.

GemGem likes this.
  11. Michele Lomas

Michele Lomas Registered Guest

Thank you Ruth and Gem Gem. I agree that it must be early 80s.

retro ruth likes this.
  12. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Ah right! Yes that dress in the other thread is definitely 80’s! I hadn’t realised that the top label has ‘Made In Great Britain’ on it and that this thread just had the label beneath it, makes much more sense now.

retro ruth likes this.
  13. retro ruth

Yes Made in Carno is just on the care label...

GemGem likes this.
  14. retro ruth

@Ranch Queen Vintage @Vintagiality tagging some label resource folk, in case this thread, and the other thread showing the full dress, is of interest.

Might it be worth adding to the LA biography, that Made In Carno probably stopped appearing on labels during the early to mid 1980s? Up to you guys of course.

15. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

retro ruth likes this.