Looking for Dakota Transit garments

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by BryanM_TextileHive, Sep 29, 2023.

1. BryanM_TextileHive

BryanM_TextileHive Registered Guest

Hello,

I'm with an organization that hopefully some of you are familiar with called Textile Hive. Our archive is made up of thousands of textiles from all over the world collected by anthropologist and designer, Andrea Aranow. Before she was a collector, she was the designer and owner of the fashion brand Dakota Transit, which operated in the East Village in NYC from roughly 1968-1974. Despite being in operation for such a relatively short period of time, Aranow was able to land some pretty high-profile clients, most notably Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis, and his wife at the time, Betty Davis (famously photographed in a Dakota Transit Piece). Now, Textile Hive is looking for any information that might be available on surviving garments. Her pieces were noteworthy for their use of leather and specifically snakeskin in a patchwork type of design. If you have any leads on garments that might fit that description please let me know!

(This is my first time posting in the forum so if there is any additional information about these garments that would narrow things down, I'll try to provide as much as possible)

Thank you in advance,
    Bryan