Looking for specific 70s/80s crepe-soled work boots

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by breachtones, Jul 13, 2024.

1. breachtones

breachtones Registered Guest

Hi all, first post here and maybe a bit of a weird one.

I'm looking for work boots that are as similar as they can be as this picture:
    [​IMG]
    image of boots

It's a weird request because these boots are actually from a 1983 police sketch! Regardless, what's a similar boot to these? They are described as "leather work boots with crepe soles". Yet I haven't been able to find something quite like it online! They're either too dark of a brown (I'm looking for beige-y), or too tall, or the toe section isn't quite as angular as depicted in the picture.

These might be Red Wings, they might not be. Either way, they're the most similar I've found though I've never found one in a similar colour. Perhaps one of you can point me in the right direction for boots that look very similar to this. Thanks in advance!

2. dollsntrolls

dollsntrolls VFG Member

I think you are doing yourself a disservice to be searching “crepe sole” with work boots. Crepe soles are for office jobs. And, although Red Wings have the traditional while sole as a distinguishing touch - they will last about 10 years longer than crepe. I am a huge fan of Red Wings. My partner still has his first pair from probably close to 15 years ago. We had them resoled once. Red Wing used to do that for free, now I think they have a standard rate, but you get exactly the same shoe back. The only reason he bought a second pair was to get another color.

But, I digress. That sketch could be any one of a number of companies that have been making the same shoe for 80 years! I recognize that ridge from Red Wings. And, you will get exactly what you pay for, in spending either $80 or $300.

Just don’t search for “crepe sole” unless you are looking for desert boots.

MagsRags likes this.