Looking to identify fabric gifted to me in 90's by grandma

UnknownRutabaga

Registered Guest
This is my first time posting on this forum (hi!) so please forgive if I am not doing this right.

Back in the 90's my grandma gave me some fabric she called Egyptian Cotton. I'm not sure where it's originally from but I have the vague recollection it was purchased during one of her trips abroad. Possible Prague, possibly literally anywhere, the lady got around. Alternatively it could have come from K-Mart, there's no way for me to know.... but that's where you all come in!

I sewed it into a dress when I was a teenager, and that's what I have now.

My goals are: 1) Find out where it's originally from, 2) see if it's still available somewhere, and if not, 3) find some way to replicate it into new fabric I can use guilt-free.

20240109_142756.jpg 20240109_142742.jpg 20240109_142733.jpg
If anyone has ideas on how I might track this fabric down, I would love to hear them!

I agree it could be Indian in origin, as the paisley design was hugely reproduced there, but I recently went to a lecture by an Islamic textile expert and the particular teardrop shaped design you see here (called 'buta'), is distinctive and originated in Persia.

Wikipedia has more information, it was produced by a number of countries.

Nicole

It's the oldest technique for printing textiles that was originally developed in India, used for making Chintz in the 17th century, and still being done today.

Back