Lucas Collins , London , Cases , Boxes and Carpet Bags ?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by VinTedII, Mar 18, 2024.

1. VinTedII

VinTedII Registered Guest

So all I have is the label picture. Did have time to take a picture of the actual large metal box !
    It basically says Lucas Collins , London , Cases , Boxes and Carpet Bags .
    Frank Portmanteau Manufacturer .
    Does anyone know anything about them ? OR were I could find out about them ?
    LucasColl.jpg

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Just an FYI that I am pretty sure the label says "Trunk" and "Portmanteau"...as in "Lucas Collins, Trunk & Portmanteau Manufacturer"

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  3. Dilly Day

Dilly Day Registered Guest

4. SusanC

SusanC Registered Guest

Lucas Collins was my great great grandfather and owned the trunk making shop at 319 Oxford Street . He later traded in partnership with his son Daniel George Collins who was designated as trunk maker to the Prince of Wales in the late 19th Century. Examples of their trunks come up for auction occasionally and I have tracked down four Daniel Collins trunks with varying labels. Quite a lot of stuff relating to the business was donated to the Jeffrey Museum ( now the Museum of the Home) in London by my Mother and is held there.
    Would be interested to hear where you saw the label and trunk. A metal trunk would be unusual as most were lined wooden trunks covered by decorative leather/stud work.
    SusanC