Maison Vermell dress

Verminillionaire

Registered Guest
Hi everyone, I found this dress at an antique store but haven't been able to find anything about it. Can anyone help date it or offer information about the maker? Or any suggestions on how it's supposed to be worn.
It has a side zipper and a very, very long panel of fabric extending from the right side that I wasn't able to capture in all its glory.

Thank you!

PXL_20240629_034742449.jpgPXL_20240709_015942251.jpg PXL_20240709_015920758.jpg

I couldn't find anything anywhere for Maison Vermell, but in the 1940 US census I found an Odell "Varmall" (I think...and it could be the census taker's interpretation of Vermell, with a Louisiana drawl) living in Chicago and her occupation was 'seamstress.' I will keep looking, but this one is certainly elusive.

OdellVarmall1940Census.jpg

OdellVarmall1940CensusClip.jpg

Note, too that the census record states that Odell was a seamstress for "W.P.A. project," so her association with the W.P.A. may confer more cachet on her skills as a seamstress.

Last edited:
I couldn't find anything anywhere for Maison Vermell, but in the 1940 US census I found an Odell "Varmall" (I think...and it could be the census taker's interpretation of Vermell, with a Louisiana drawl)) living in Chicago and her occupation was 'seamstress.' I will keep looking, but this one is certainly elusive.

View attachment 187464

View attachment 187465

Note, too that the census record states that Odell was a seamstress for "W.P.A. project," so her association with the W.P.A. may confer more cachet on her skills as a seamstress.

Thank you for the information & for looking!

Back