McGregor Mystery Label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Diane Beck, Sep 8, 2024.

1. Diane Beck

Diane Beck Registered Guest

I'm trying to date a McGregor Hawaiian shirt. Its label has a beach scene with palm tree and sun. I think the shirt is made from a cotton rayon blend. Inside, there is an extra button with a couple of labels written in an Asian language. Does anyone know when this shirt was made? I can provide photos.
    Thanks!
    Diane

Attached Files:

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

yes, please. include the seam finishes, too, please and thank you!

3. Diane Beck

Here are some additional photos.

Attached Files:

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

On the label sewn to the inside seam, what does it say under McGregor? "Good Americ..."

5. Diane Beck

Hi. Thanks for responding. The label reads: "Feel the Comfort" under "McGregor" and "Attractive Sports Wear."

6. Diane Beck

Oh I misunderstood. The inside label reads: "Good American Spirit."

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Thanks. That often helps when searching for ads about the product, and which might have an image of the label.

8. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

There were Japanese companies doing very nice 50s style reproduction shirts awhile back. I hadn't specifically seen any with the McGregor label, but searching "mcgregor Japanese reproduction" did show me a vintage style t-shirt on Grailed with a McGregor label that is somewhat different than this one but similarly embroidered and "vintage" looking.
    Also found a few sold ones on a website called fabrique - looked Korean

9. Diane Beck

Thank you so much for looking and for the time you took to research. I've been doing my own research and coming up with nothing. I didn't try reproduction. I was afraid the shirt might be a reproduction, and it sounds like that may be the case. Thanks again for the information.

10. furwise

furwise VFG Member VFG Past President

I would date this to the 80s. Those paper tags were commonly used at that time and we have some 80s McGregor labels that look a lot like the one you’ve shown along the side seam that are from the same maker and from the same time, but from different McGregor lines or collections.
    Here is a link to our label resource where we have more information about the maker as well as some images of the maker’s labels. If you look at the 80s labels I think you’ll see the resemblance. Below the link I’ve also shown an image of a 1986 ad that shows a McGregor Hawaiian Shirt.
    https://vintagefashionguild.org/resources/item/label/mcgregor/

IMG_2882.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2024
  11. Diane Beck

Thank you so much. I'm getting ready to sell the shirt and didn't know how to price it or what to say about it. This has helped so much. I really appreciate your help!

furwise likes this.
  12. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

80s might be right. The Japanese reproduction company this reminded me of is Sun Surf, and they started in the 80s. Sun Surf shirts typically retail for more than $200.

furwise likes this.
  13. Diane Beck

That's helpful in pricing the shirt. It's in excellent condition. Thank you!