Men's Fit Question (I feel stupid for even asking...)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Patentleathershoes, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Men\'s Fit Question (I feel stupid for even asking...)

I usually have a pretty good guess on taking the flat measurements of clothing and estimating women's size (based on how much extra room would be given in the cut), but am pretty clueless how much leeway is given in a man's garment...i am guessing a few inches but in sizing the size is the size of how they measure...unlike buying vintage clothing..it is not the measure of the garment they take, right??

I have a men's jacket (sport coat) that had a paper ticket in the pocket that said Short 38. As this was not actually part of it, but an old stock tag perhaps, i am just double checking with you guys...

if it has about a 42" chest measurement (measured flat), 18" from shoulder seam to shoulder seam, does that sound about right for the size in the pocket? (i think the sleeves are around 25".) (i never like to go totally on loose documentation.

chris

2. Patentleathershoes

alright...i have solved my Q...i will list all the measurements and let the buyer determine the best fit..just like in vintage ladies wear..

3. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

For men's stuff, I usually measure the neck (if it's a shirt), Shoulders, chest, waist (which is usually the same as the chest) and then to be sure, the sleeve length so the tall guys can see whether the sleeves will be too short.

A measurement of 42" for a chest measurement sounds about right for a man with a 38" chest as it would accomadate the extra bulk for the shirt and ease of movement. I use a leeway of about 4" between garment measurement and actual pysical chest size.

Lei

4. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

I just verified the chest measurement leeway with Gary's antique and vintage clothing. He has a 46" chest but his vintage mourning coat and tail coat both have a chest measurement of about 48"- 50" and his vintage shirt with it's detachable collar has about a 50" chest so your coat with a 42" chest would be ok in sizing for a 38" chested man. Phew! :)

Men are so lucky how they can go by measurements instead of being lumped into size 12, 14, 16, etc! :P

Lei

5. Patentleathershoes

I know, aren't they? well, if women just went by measurement sizing, it would give manufacturer's no leeway to change the sizing scheme to accommodate for growing average waistlines. a 38 is a 38 is a 38, and you have to go up a size if you gain weight. No "manufactureres run different " (and besides, "measurements" SOUND bigger than a number size)
    :)

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Yup, 4 inches is the norm. Victorian stuff is usually more like a 2 inch leeway, and 1980s stuff can sometimes be more like 5 inches (Armani increased the size of jackets slightly). The 'short' is more of a problem however -- make sure you mention that in the description. That means the sleeves are quite short, and the length of the jacket, so it was meant for a man that was probably under 5'8"

7. Patentleathershoes

I did put that in the description. the weird thing is a i searched other auctions and there were some 38 and 40 regulars with the same sleeve length as this one...... i included the measurements of the jacket to let the buyer determine if it will fit them properly.

i have sold a men's hats and a few printed shirts, but this is my first suit or jacket....we;ll see how it flies : )