Metallic Lame Fabric Repair

Aintweswank

VFG Member
Hi everyone~

I have a vintage metallic lame dress that has an area of broken fibers along the upper shoulder area. Can this be repaired or am I out of luck? Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_2092.jpeg
    IMG_2092.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 17
I would do a mesh patch sewed in discretely, possibly in a larger area to take the strain off the threads that are already breaking. You may as well do both shoulders, as the damage was likely done from being on a hanger.
Thank you for the reply~ can a seamstress do this? Or does it need to be a someone specialized in this fabric?

I think a careful non-sewist could do it. It's just that the patch would be delicate and should be cut knowing it may be slightly visible, so possibly art deco shape to match. The stitches would be tiny, to not impose. It's a totally typical type of mending that a seamstress who has worked with vintage would likely be familiar with. I think it may be the least invasive repair. If anyone suggests ironing or gluing anything in, run to someone else, or watch some mending tutorials!

I would do a mesh patch sewed in discretely, possibly in a larger area to take the strain off the threads that are already breaking. You may as well do both shoulders, as the damage was likely done from being on a hanger.
Thank you for the reply~ can a seamstress do this? Or does it need to be a someone specialized in this fabric
I think a careful non-sewist could do it. It's just that the patch would be delicate and should be cut knowing it may be slightly visible, so possibly art deco shape to match. The stitches would be tiny, to not impose. It's a totally typical type of mending that a seamstress who has worked with vintage would likely be familiar with. I think it may be the least invasive repair. If anyone suggests ironing or gluing anything in, run to someone else, or watch some mending tutorials!
Thank you so much! This helps a lot! ☺️

Back