Millinery hat display stands: dating and chronology help please?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by MagsRags, Aug 9, 2024.

1. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I recently came into a lot of vintage hat display stands, of varying types. I don't think any of them are antique. There is not a lot out there on the internet about the history of millinery display stands. I have formed some opinions, but would love to tap into the collective wisdom and experience here.

The photos I have found of millinery shops show mostly tall display stands, which makes sense especially for the more imposing hats of the teens and early 20s.
    1915-Five_Ladies_in_a_Millinery_Shop_SAAM-1996.55_1.jpg

But even later photos, like this one from 1928, show cloches on either tall stands or sitting on counters
    1928_-_Downstairs_Millinery_Department_-_Hess_Brothers_-_Allentown_PA.jpg

My millinery display stands can be loosely divided into three groups:
    - all wood,
    - chrome frame with a "knob" of either painted wood or painted metal, and
    - fabric covered & padded.

Some photos of my "collection" in next post.

2. MagsRags

I am thinking these painted wood stands are probably the oldest. They are about 10.5" tall. I don't know whether paint job is original. Maybe mid-1920s?
    hatdisplaystandspinkwood.jpg
    hatdisplaystandsbluewood.jpg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  3. MagsRags

Next a series of display stands with simple metal bases designed to slide onto the edge of a shelf. Some are fully painted and on the taller side at 10.5"
    hatdisplaystandsteelbendy-steeltop.jpg

And then there are some with chrome plated metal and wooden knobs, painted in the colors I associate with Fiesta ware. They are all 9.5" tall.
    hatdisplaystandssteelandwood-4.jpg

30s?

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  4. MagsRags

And are these fabric covered padded display stands from the 40s? Online sellers seem to think so. Some are satin quilted, some are velveteen. The ribbon trim on some is satin, others some sort of plastic.
    hatstandfabric.jpg

Most bases are covered in metallic paper in various states of distress.
    hatstand-caramelunderbase.jpg

5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

omgosh i am so thrilled for you, and so jealous at the same time! lol

that flamingo pink (is what we used to call it) in your first photo in post #2 was a really popular color in the 1940s, often paired with black. but then again, who knows how many times these may have been painted over the years. (maybe it IS from the 20s, and was just painted later, you know?)

i wish i knew more to help you, sorry i don't! but gosh, they are all so wonderful!!!

beatingHeart

MagsRags likes this.
  6. MagsRags

Thanks, Mary! Bumping in hopes that someone has had some experience with these or similar. Perhaps Barbara @Rue_de_la_Paix ?

ETA: I forgot to mention that the stands in the first batch of post #3 each have a corded pull with matching wooden bead attached. Apparently that was intended to make it easier to bring a hat on a tall shelf within reach by pulling on the cord - the "stem" has a 3" spring that allows bending. Pretty ingenious!

7. I have had quite a few of the closet shelf ones and I have dated them to the 1930s. I actually saw some in 30s films.
    The last ones I would put into the 40s era.

Rue_de_la_Paix likes this.
  8. MagsRags

Thank you, Suzanne. Sounds like I am on the right track for the most part.

9. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I would agree with 20s to 50s. I have had some like your 2nd, 4th and 5th photos. Never like the 1st or 2nd.
    Nice lot!

MagsRags likes this.
  10. MagsRags

Thanks, MJ!

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  11. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I think all the ones in the first 4 shots are 1920s to 1930s, maybe a few 1940s. The last shot I think are 1950s.

12. MagsRags

Thank you, Barbara!