Miss Smith -- The American Look (??)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bobbisoxervintage, May 27, 2024.

1. bobbisoxervintage

bobbisoxervintage Registered Guest

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a 1950s-style pink gingham dress whose label reads "Styled by Miss Smith -- The American Look." When I research the brand online, I cannot find any information about it. The RN number led me to Gladstone Arcuni Inc., who owned Hattie Leeds, so maybe "Miss Smith" is part of the Hattie Leeds brand. Yet, there are lots of sellers on Ebay, Etsy, etc. with dresses from the brand, so I doubt it's rare. What was this brand? When was the dress likely made? Why is there no information about it online?? Any ideas are helpful. Thank you! IMG_4894.JPG IMG_4895.JPG

2. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

This looks very similar to your dress. The ad is form 1973 but I think your dress may be a bit older, I would say 60s

IMG_1040.jpeg

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

From a 1961 article: "Gladstone-Arcuni Inc. has revived its 'Active Woman' label and is introducing a new label line called Miss Smith. The new division, also in misses' and women's sizes, features shirt-dress styles, with a ready-to-wear look, at $51 per dozen."

From a 1965 article: "(Gladstone-Arcuni) manufactures 'Hattie Leeds,' 'Miss Smith,' 'Diane Carter,' and 'Active Woman' dresses."

Last edited: May 28, 2024
  4. bobbisoxervintage

bobbisoxervintage Registered Guest

Thank you so much! Do you mind sharing where these articles were published?

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

The two small quotes were in early editions of the Women's Wear Daily newspaper and are posted here for educational purposes only. I am able to access the database through the library of the university I attended; your public library may also subscribe to the Proquest database that has the WWD..

Last edited: May 28, 2024
    bobbisoxervintage likes this.