Modern Masters/Fuller Fabrics Print

Aintweswank

VFG Member
Hi Everyone,

I have acquired a 1950's cotton dress. I'm trying to identify if the print on this could possibly be a Modern Masters for Fuller Fabrics artist print. It looks very much like a Jackson Pollock drip/abstract style painting that he did back in the post war era. Any advice on this piece would help a ton.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_E1198.JPG
    IMG_E1198.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_E1199.JPG
    IMG_E1199.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_E1200.JPG
    IMG_E1200.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 112
That's great! (And you don't have to worry about stains!) Do you see the selvedge?

Thats the first place I checked and unfortunately this doesn't have any label on the selvedge. I do have a Marc Chagal Modern Masters print dress also without the selvedge label but that's an easier one to document because there are images online that show the same piece I have. I'm stumped. I think I may have to reach out to a museum in Minneapolis that hosted an exhibit during the 50's specifically on these dresses. Maybe they will have some information in their archives.

Lovely that you have a Marc Chagal-print dress!

These are the artists that were part of this series: Marc Chagall, Fernand Léger, Pablo Picasso, Raoul Duffy, and Joan Miro

Your print is a little like some of the Miro prints, but I don't think it is.

I found the Life article from when these were new.

These are the artists that were part of this series: Marc Chagall, Fernand Léger, Pablo Picasso, Raoul Duffy, and Joan Miro

Thank you for the information! This is an example of Jackson Pollocks work. This is a drip-abstract painting he did. Look at the similarities. I asked my sister-in-law who has an art degree and she thought it was one of his pieces. I cannot be for sure on that without more research, but it's very close.

Attachments

• IMG_E1245.JPG
    IMG_E1245.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 80
I have a photocopy of an article from American Fabrics (Winter 1955 - 56) about Modern Master fabrics and don't see any examples of this pattern.

It has a great look. Could it be an Associated American Artists print? Somewhere I have a link to a PDF with images of all (or most) of their fabric designs.

I have a photocopy of an article from American Fabrics (Winter 1955 - 56) about Modern Master fabrics and don't see any examples of this pattern.

It has a great look. Could it be an Associated American Artists print? Somewhere I have a link to a PDF with images of all (or most) of their fabric designs.
Thank you so much!

Back