Moral dilemma about labels.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LorrelMae, Sep 30, 2009.

1. LorrelMae

LorrelMae Registered Guest

Just picked up these two suits. Only one has a label, though I am ABSOLUTELY certain they are both Claude Montana.

May I, with a clear conscience, say the one without is a Claude Montana?

The care labels match, and the silhouette where a label should be (on the lavender suit) is the same size.

Please, please, may I?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you,

Sandi

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

if it were me, and I was talking about my own personal collection or wardrobe, I might solely in that contex say yes and have an interesting story to tell. However, if you are planning on selling the one without the label, I would not be adamant that it was. I would mention that the care labels were the same, label area was the same, that you got them from the same person and it was purchased with the Claude Montana, whatever, and let the buyer decide and come to their own conclusion rather than telling people it is and having the chance that it isn't. I would do that just to be on the safe side.

3. LorrelMae

Thank you!

That's what I figured too, I was just hoping...!

The lavender one is just so much nicer! :)

Sandi

4. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Chris has given you great advice! Were it me, I might add something like, "While I am personally convinced that the lavender one is also a Claude Montana, I cannot guarante that it is, nor am I reprenting it as a certainty." That way, you've given an informed opinion but you are not misrepresenting or misleading. Show both care labels, and also the maker's label on the one and its corresponding "outline area" on the other.

Very chic suits!

5. LorrelMae

Thank you!

I will most certainly do that!

Sincerely, Sandi

6. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

After you state your very good reasons (BTW) I would say

"for these reasons I am fairly confident we might attribute this suit to C.M. however without a label I cannot be 100% sure"

Melody