Need help dating a top!

bug-in-a-rug

Registered Guest
Hi! I have this beautiful top that has ties in the back. I am struggling to date this piece, and would love any advice or ideas on the era. There are no tags on this, the hems and some of the other seams looks to be hand stitched. It’s hard to tell from the photos, but the stitching is uneven and switches color at some points. The side seams look to have been altered multiple times, so that makes it difficult for me to determine the original seam, but from what I can tell, it looks like a very small french seam. I would love any help dating this piece! Thanks so much in advance :)
IMG_0244.jpeg

IMG_0245.jpegIMG_0246.jpegIMG_0247.jpegimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgIMG_0657.jpegIMG_0656.jpeg

I think it's the top to a pajama set, likely Asian, maybe 1940s, 50s, or 60s. It can be hard to date these pieces. Probably has been altered at some point. Very lovely!

This is a pyjama top which likely would have had wide bottom matching pants to it. Love the way the flower is applied.
I have had some of these before that I dated to the 30s or 40s. Likely Made in Japan, These sometimes also had an over jacket.

Last edited:
I think it's the top to a pajama set, likely Asian, maybe 1940s, 50s, or 60s. It can be hard to date these pieces. Probably has been altered at some point. Very lovely!
Ooooh yea, that could be!!

Hi! I have this beautiful top that has ties in the back. I am struggling to date this piece, and would love any advice or ideas on the era. There are no tags on this, the hems and some of the other seams looks to be hand stitched. It’s hard to tell from the photos, but the stitching is uneven and switches color at some points. The side seams look to have been altered multiple times, so that makes it difficult for me to determine the original seam, but from what I can tell, it looks like a very small french seam. I would love any help dating this piece! Thanks so much in advance :) View attachment 193087
View attachment 193088View attachment 193089View attachment 193090View attachment 193091View attachment 193092View attachment 193093View attachment 193094View attachment 193095View attachment 193098View attachment 193097
I’m seeing 1930s in this too .. is it silk? My first thought was pajama top that would have gone with wide leg pants

Back