Need help dating this cocktail dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by East Villager, Aug 17, 2024.

1. East Villager

East Villager Registered Guest

I bought this dress in NYC in the 1980s. It has no labels at all. The only telling thing is a TABIT metal zipper up the back. The cutwork flowers appear to be hand-stitched as they are so delicately attached to one another to create a beautiful balanced pattern. I thought this might be a 1950s sheath/wiggle cocktail dress because of the nipped waist and the pencil skirt, but I am no expert. The material of the skirt seems to be a poly blend? Guessing the flowers are cotton/linen. The lining on the top is ivory and under the skirt it is black. The flowers are not fully attached to the bosom, or the back where they dip into a V. My questions:
    1. What period is this dress from?
    2. Any info about the cutwork floral lace that is both black and ivory. Is this unusual? What material are the flowers do you think? Is it hand-stitched?
    3. Is this a wiggle sheath dress?
    4. What is the time period of the Tabit metal zipper?
    5. Any ideas as to the designer?
    Any other info would help me greatly.
    tempImageCgpBcq.png tempImager2oRhv.png tempImage9KSXGC.png tempImageZ2fIIy.png

tempImage7y1NsA.png tempImageR0uO2n.png

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I am seeing 1960s with this dress - pre 1965. Let's see what others think.

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The lace does not appear to be cutwork, they look like pre-made lace appliques which were then sewn to the bodice. Or it could be Guipure lace which can be sold by yard and they are not individual appliques. It is not a sheath, as it has a waist seam, and it does not quite (to me) look narrow enough in the skirt to be called a wiggle dress.

But is is very pretty!

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

5. I agree with early 1960s, and the lace is not "cutwork" but as Barbara says.
    I wonder if the dress was once part of a matching dress/jacket set.

6. East Villager

Thank you all for weighing in on this with your expertise. I now see exactly why this cannot be called a sheath dress because of the waist seam. Would it be more appropriate to call this a pencil shift dress? It fits very close to the body. There is no slit in the skirt, and you must take small steps to walk in this. It is 12" at the waist, 16" mid skirt and then max 17.5" at end of skirt.

In regard to the lace, I also now see that it is not cutwork in the Irish or Italian tradition. I am attaching more detailed photos for you to see the stitching up close. It does not have any backing like machine made appliqué patches. The last pic is of the backside of the lace. It is plain on the underside. It is also not attached to the bodice, and the embroidery linking of the ivory and black is so unusual. I cannot find anything like this on the web at all, with the ivory and black mixed.

Could this be Guipure lace or Venetian wedding lace since there is no backing?

Have any of you seen this before? And is this lace machine made and linked by hand you think? Thanks for your help.

tempImageFnFt3V.png
    tempImage36AL1v.png tempImageuKmBOA.png tempImagecXAaOo.png

Last edited: Aug 18, 2024
  7. BlackLotusVintage

BlackLotusVintage VFG Board Member Staff Member

Very early 1950's dress. I agree with Donna that it looks like Chemical lace.

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.
  8. Why early 50s, as opposed to early 60s? Just wondering.

9. East Villager

This also has the metal Tabit zipper up the back, black on dress side, and silver on the inside. On the back of the Tabit zipper, it says USA. This might help with the dating. Thank you.