No label, red wool hooded zip up jacket

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Slimewarp, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Slimewarp

Slimewarp Registered Guest

me again, with yet another piece that I can't identify. There are no tags or labels, so it must be handmade. It has an old dry cleaning (or something similar) tag attached with a local name and # which i have tried contacting to no avail.
    It feels like wool, i guess it could be polyester. Its heavy and itchy, unlined except for the hood which is lined with what i assume is polyester? (still not so great at telling the diff between types of synthetics, but im learning as much as I can!)
    The zipper is "AERO" brand, and the back of the pull seems to say "US", which leads me to think its a 60s piece, assuming the zipper is original which it appears to be by the condition (bottom of the zipper is coming unsewn from the jacket).
    There are 2 zipper pockets as well, and the hood has a drawstring.
    what do you all think? And can you give me your opinions on if that looks like a wool fabric or specific kind of knit? Thanks!
    red hoodie front.JPG red hoodie back.JPG red hoodie inside.JPG aero zip front.JPG AERO zip back.JPG DSC_2024.JPG DSC_2044.JPG DSC_2033.JPG DSC_2032.JPG

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I remember my mom having something very similar in the late 50s / early 60s.

3. Slimewarp

Awesome! Any idea what the fabric lining the hood might be? I get confused with liner fabrics. It's shiny and on the medium weight side, there's just so many options. I know most buyers don't even care but I like to learn.

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Looks like an acetate... man made.

5. Slimewarp

Thank you! Is that one of the more common linings used in vintage outerwear from that era? I have several pieces with lining that feels and looks similar. I have tried the burn test but i am so bad when it comes to trying to identify the smell... hah

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Acetate is a common fiber for coat linings yes, of that era and others. It's fairly durable is why. Before that silk or a silk blend was common.